Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loopygrl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2013, 08:34 AM
    Overpaid Judgement/Garnishment
    I had a defaut judgement granted against me that I had not been aware of in the amount of $2,291.96. The company was able to get a garnishment on my wages and started deducting $117.80 weekly. Two weeks after they started taking money I contacted the law office that was representing the collector to pay the debt in full. He told me that because I get paid weekly and there is no easy way to settle a sebt after garnishment begins that I needed to pay the debt in full and I would be reimbursed for overages. He also told me that it will take time to go through the court system so they will continue to garnish my wages until then. I made a lump sum payment of $2304.01. The total amount garnished from my wages before the order was ceased is $703.45. When I paid it in full I was told that $2304.01 which is $14.95 more than the original amount owed. Is there a fee associated with that to explain the difference? My real concern is, while the garnishment order was ceased by the court I have nothing in writing stating that the debt was paid except for the order from my employer showing it was stopped. How do I go about getting back the $700.00 in overages that were taken? What are my options?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
    You should have gotten the settlement agreement in writing before you paid any money. You should also have asked for an accounting of what you were told to pay, though the extra is probably interest.

Did you pay by check? Do you have a copy of the cancelled check?
    loopygrl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2013, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You should have gotten the settlement agreement in writing before you paid any money. You should also have asked for an accounting of what you were told to pay, though the extra is probably interest.

Did you pay by check? Do you have a copy of the cancelled check?
    It wasn't a settlement, so there was no settlement agreement. The garnishment went through the courts and the judgement was paid in full. I have court documents showing what I owed, and I have documentation of everything that I paid. It was not a check, it was a debit payment made to the law firm that is representing the creditor, and yes I have a statement showing the amount paid and to whom.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Then you take the agency to court to recover your over payment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment and Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

How to stop a wage garnishment cause by a judgement that was filed after statue of limitation?

Judgement/garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband has gotten a judgement against me for my non payment of a property settlement agreement with him. I don't know of any place he could try to get money from me except my wages. What would he have to do to try to garnish my wages and how much could he get if he can do it? Also, can he...

Overpaid Garnishment/Levy [ 1 Answers ]

I had a garnishment/levy placed on my paycheck through the IRS from back taxes my ex wife owed through her business. Because she's not currently employed, the IRS came after me (because we filed a joint tax return). My question is - I overpaid by $793 before they stopped the levy. After...

Judgement/Bank Account Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me in the state of TX. I have recently consulted a lawyer and was told my money in my bank account can be garnished. Is that so? What are the chances of a settlement at this point? It will cost me $1000 for a lawyer. I do not know if this is something I can work out...

Judgement and Notification and Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

If a creditor seeks a judgement against you, will they be required to notify you before the judgement is acquired? If not, can they garnish your social security income without notification?

View more questions Search