Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ed2004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2013, 07:45 PM
    How to respond to a credit summons
    I responded to a credit summons but got a mail default judgment against me from the court, I the receipt of the certified letter I sent to the agent, at this point what should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2013, 03:18 AM
    Are you sure this is a notice that a judgment was actually issued? Or could it be a notice that you need to appear or a default judgment will be issued? Was it from the court or the creditor?

If, in fact, a default judgment was issued and you had no notice of a court date, then go to the court and file a motion to vacate the judgment on the grounds that you were never informed of the court date. A new hearing should be scheduled so you can fight it.

But what grounds do you have to fight it?
    ed2004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2013, 03:48 AM
    Well it is from the court immediately I found out I went to the court and of the clerk at the counter look at it in the computer and told me to talk to the agent if they don't cooperate with me then file a motion, asked her how to but she can't give any help as she is a clerk at the court, at this point I need help to file the motion to vacate the judgment. I have a receipt of the certified letter I mail to the agent. Help Help Help!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2013, 04:46 AM
    If the debt is valid, you pay it. What was your defense, how were you going to prove it was not a valid debt?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Go back to the clerk and ask is there is any specific form you need to file and, if so, where can you get a copy. If not, then submit a letter to the court like this:

Re: <insert docket and court info>

Please accept this as a motion to vacate the judgment in the above referenced action. I was never informed of a court date for this action so I never received my right to due process.

Please have the judgment vacated and new hearing date set so I can defend against this action.

But, again, what grounds do you have to fight it? Unless you can you will just be delaying the inevitable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to respond to a Credit Card Summons and how to deal with them [ 6 Answers ]

About two weeks ago, I got a summons saying I am being sued by my credit card company, chase to be exact. Can someone please help in in how to go about in answering a summons? I have 30 days and it must be in legal form. I don't know what form to use. Also, chase had been calling me telling me...

How do I respond to a civil action summons for a credit card debt [ 0 Answers ]

I just received a $6,900 civil action summons from a law firm in NJ. There is no date for court appearrance but I would like to respond to them request to settle with a payment plan and should I reply to the court and the law firm also?

How do I write the letter to respond to a summons from a credit card company [ 0 Answers ]

I live in the state of Florida. I want to respond to a summons received from the court about credit card debt. How do I write the letter.

How to respond to a Civil Summons for Credit Card Debt? [ 6 Answers ]

First off if its important I live in North Carolina, Ok, I'm not going to lie here, I'm an idiot when it comes to money and my credit. Up until a year ago I only had one joint credit card with my husband and all of the ones I had that were in my name were gone and paid off. Then I got an offer and...

View more questions Search