Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Mar 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
    98 Mercury Tracer, AT, shift is stuck what to do?
    98 Merc Tracer has automatic transmission. Sat all winter unused. But started right up at first 2 uses days apart form each other (short uses only down a driveway and back) after winter.

The shifter has a push button on side and you slide it into P N D R etc. Shortly after parking it and turning off the engine, went just within moments to re-start it and there was no noise at ignition. Nada when I turned the key, as if battery just went dead very suddenly. I did consider it might have only had a couple starts left in battery and the short uses didn't let alternator recharge battery, so it might have gone dead, but that seemed awful sudden.

So I thought, maybe it's not exactly all the way in Park, so I depressed brake, push in button on shifter to shift and take it from where it appeared to be in Park back to I think maybe N, and then back into P, trying this time to make sure it is fully in Park. Still no noise when I turn the key. I left then, as I didn't have to use that vehicle that day.

Came back today and same thing--no noise when I turn key-- except NOW I can't even move the shifter out of park. I can depress button but the shifter won't budge AT ALL.

What did I screw up and how might I fix it? I was trying to get it into neutral to push car into position so I could jump start the battery with another vehicle, in case that was the problem. Now I can't shift it at all or move it since I can't get it out of park.

Extra info: I did find a mouse nest under hood but can't see anything mice chewed wire-wise. I cleaned that out.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2013, 09:27 AM
    Begin by removing and fully charging, or replacing, the battery. Then, clean the battery terminals and cable connections thoroughly. Ensure cables are in great shape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

'97 Mercury Grand Marquis does not shift to 1st gear [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I have a '97 Modal Grand Marquis, and its transmission is having problems . When I shift into 'Drive' the first gear is not chosen and the 2nd starts working. 'Reverse' is working fine, and there are no problems shifting, but whenever I brake my car, it starts to vibrate. When I shift the...

Why does a 1998 mercury tracer stop then restart gas filter was changed [ 1 Answers ]

Was driving and it would stall then stop then it restarts, gas filter was changed seamed to help then it started again. Help please am a widow and am not a mechanic

Shift Stuck! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 96 Toyota Camry and at this time the shift is stuck in Park. The car will turn over, but can't get the gear out of park. Any suggestions:(

View more questions Search