Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Mar 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
    How do I get a person to take down a web site with my work?
    I'm a writer with a book that's available in ebook and paperback form, copyrighted since 1998 under my name and with certain rights awarded by contract only to my publisher, copyrighted to them for the ebook rights for 1999 and paperback rights for 2008. I recently found a web site that has my entire book in HTML form "for free" on the internet. I emailed them asking who gave them the right to publish my copyrighted material and also emailed my publisher, who also pointed out the material is copyrighted and told them to take it down IMMEDIATELY.

It's been almost a month now and no one has responded to my email, no one has responded to my publisher, and the page is still up. Since the publishing company is fairly small and neither of us is making huge amounts of money from the book sales (possibly because of this jerk putting it up for free reading so that people don't buy it from Amazon), neither of us can afford to pay a lawyer. Since this is an internet issue, is it a federal offense? Does anyone know how to pursue this without having to take out loans to pay for lawyers?

By the way, I'm from Maine, the publisher is from Maryland, and we don't know where this person is from who posted the book. Suffice to say, I suspect a lot of the other books on AGhostwriter's Nest are also stolen copyrighted material.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 07:44 PM
    You can try here and also at their ISP to get them to stop. This information was obtained using a IP look up service and who is for the website listed.

Registrant:
    Ledbetter, Karen
    ATTN STORIESRUS.COM
    Care of Network Solutions
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA. US 18222
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2013, 03:26 AM
    Even more contact info:
    Registrant:
    Ledbetter, Karen
    ATTN AGHOSTWRITER.COM
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA. US 18222

Domain Name: AGHOSTWRITER.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Ledbetter, Karen [email protected] m
    ATTN AGHOSTWRITER.COM
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA 18222
    US
    570-708-8780

Technical Contact:
    Morris, Ray B [email protected] m
    ATTN AGHOSTWRITER.COM
    PO Box 459
    Drums, PA 18222
    US
    570-708-8780

I'm sure your publisher has an attorney. I would have them send a cease and desist order with copies to Via e-mail and snail mail.
    Network Solutions
    Network Solutions, LLC. [email protected]
    13861 Sunrise Valley Drive
    Herndon, VA 20171
    US
    1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Network Solutions can suspend the domain so it can't be reached.

I would also contact some attorneys to see if any will take the case on contingency. This is clear copyright infringement and you can sue for lost revenues.

Good luck and keep us posted. As a published author myself, this kind of thing makes my blood boil

Mar 28, 2013, 04:13 AM
    Thank you so much for all the info. I'll bring this info to my publisher, and if she doesn't want to pursue it, I'll bring it to a lawyer. And I will most definitely let you know what happens. (I'm always grateful for those who have the skills I lack for looking this stuff up. Bless you for looking!)

Mar 28, 2013, 08:26 AM
    You can go to godaddy.com and use their WhoIs link to get info about the owner of any domain.

Mar 30, 2013, 03:49 AM
    The publisher had been working with a lawyer to get the "cease and desist" letter written and has sent it to the email and snail mail addresses you mentioned. She's confirmed that my book wasn't the only one from her site that had been compromised, but it wasn't only her authors who appeared at the site, so these people are in deep do-do... *grin*

Thanks again for your help, and I'll keep that info on how to do this myself next time (if there is one). In the meantime, on my own website, I'm making sure that I'm still properly connected to the people who've allowed me to "creatively borrow" their work. I'm also making sure, since I initially had the web site under a nickname, that I'm posting on all my personal work that I AM the author, and that the people who have given me permission to use their work have noted "used with written permission from author" on their work.

Thanks yet again!

Mar 30, 2013, 04:14 AM
    Do you have any idea how long the site has had it up? Can you look at your sales and note a drop off? If you can show that this affected your sales, there is a law suit there. Including recovery of legal fees.

Jun 12, 2013, 05:20 AM
    One last post before I leave this site forever (and not because of anyone on this thread, but because of an obnoxious moderator on another thread who thinks he owns the site):

The page did get taken down, my publisher is happy with it at that, and I have a new book that's due for release in November. Hopefully, with more diligent monitoring, I'll be able to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you to all who have responded to my posts over the years and appreciated my feedback on their posts. See you in the funny papers!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Don't leave because of a simple disagreement... things happen and you forget about them.

Good luck with your new book.

Jun 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Don't leave because of a simple disagreement....things happen and you forget about them.

Good luck with your new book.

Thank you, odinn7. It's been a rough couple of weeks with delays on the book, miscommunications/lost emails between myself and the publisher because of a hacker issue, and the situation on the other post in which I've been accused of things I never intended when I simply put my two cents worth in (as you just did here). It makes me feel much better to have your kind words to greet me here when I came in in response to the email telling me that you had posted to this thread.

Thank you for helping me to cool off and feel better about this group.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerella View Post
    Thank you, odinn7. It's been a rough couple of weeks with delays on the book, miscommunications/lost emails between myself and the publisher because of a hacker issue, and the situation on the other post in which I've been accused of things I never intended when I simply put my two cents worth in (as you just did here). It makes me feel much better to have your kind words to greet me here when I came in in response to the email telling me that you had posted to this thread.

Thank you for helping me to cool off and feel better about this group.
    Really, the long time members here are a good group of people and that is why I stayed. The biggest problem that I see (and it happens everywhere really) is that sometimes people may not fully understand what you were trying to say as writing something out doesn't always translate as well as if you were speaking in person. People sometimes misunderstand what you were saying or maybe the way you were saying it... just let it go and forget it. Not a big deal.

Take care.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Don't judge the whole site by one person. You're an author, would you recommend judging the book by it's cover, or one review?

I've been here a long time, a long long time. There are times when you don't agree with someone, and things can get heated. We're all human, we all think we're right, we all defend ourselves when we think we're right. It's harder when you're doing everything with the written word, the worst possible form of communication, so much room for misunderstanding.

If you're having an issue, report the person causing an issue. Do remember that there are only a handful of actual moderators. The experts on this site aren't mods, and really have no power at all, they just get a fancy green title under their names. The mods on this site are very fair. If you're having an issue with a mod on a thread, report it. That specific mod will not be in charge of any action taken, it will go to the other mods, just to ensure that any action is fair.

Stick around, we really are a pretty great group of people. Heck, that's how they reeled me in. I came here to ask a question, then leave. I've been here for... OMG! Has it been that long? Um... nothing to see here. ;)

Hope you decide to give it a try.

Jun 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Don't judge the whole site by one person. You're an author, would you recommend judging the book by it's cover, or one review?

I've been here a long time, a long long time. There are times when you don't agree with someone, and things can get heated. We're all human, we all think we're right, we all defend ourselves when we think we're right. It's harder when you're doing everything with the written word, the worst possible form of communication, so much room for misunderstanding.

If you're having an issue, report the person causing an issue. Do remember that there are only a handful of actual moderators. The experts on this site aren't mods, and really have no power at all, they just get a fancy green title under their names. The mods on this site are very fair. If you're having an issue with a mod on a thread, report it. That specific mod will not be in charge of any action taken, it will go to the other mods, just to ensure that any action is fair.

Stick around, we really are a pretty great group of people. Heck, that's how they reeled me in. I came here to ask a question, then leave. I've been here for....OMG! Has it been that long? Um.....nothing to see here. ;)

Hope you decide to give it a try.

Thanks for your two cents worth, too! :)

I did report it and have been helped - while you and odinn7 were also helping - and feel less like a golf ball in a big tournament. Turns out the reports on the posts I'd made just hadn't been investigated yet and the obnoxious one had delusions of grandeur as to position on this forum...

BTW, I got reeled in the same way you did. I've asked many questions and had wonderful help from both expert and novice people here. I've also been able to help out some people who just needed that little boost that you just gave me. Thank you very much for that, and I think I will stick around a bit longer.
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 10:32 PM
    Glad you decided to stay. I will warn you though, the summer season is upon us, which means that school is out. If you can make it through the summer without wanting to reach through your monitor and throttle someone, you are a much better person than I am. :)
    Entomology Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Glad you decided to stay. I will warn you though, the summer season is upon us, which means that school is out. If you can make it through the summer without wanting to reach through your monitor and throttle someone, you are a much better person than I am. :)
    Ha! That's what makes me feel alive!
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Ha! That's what makes me feel alive!
    Yes, but we all know you're a bit warped. ;)

Jun 13, 2013, 03:15 AM
    Thanks for the smiles this morning, odinn7 and Alty.
    Robert Valentin Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Be very careful!! If the web site your complaining about, keeps records of old e-mails from 1998 and you gave them permission to publish your work back then by e-mail, you might be at fault here? Can you remember for sure? You've been complaining all over the internet that the site in question is stealing your work. If that's not the case... you my friend, are open to "SLANDER". Good luck!

Aug 23, 2013, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Valentin View Post
    Be very careful!!! If the web site your complaining about, keeps records of old e-mails from 1998 and you gave them permission to publish your work back then by e-mail, you might be at fault here? Can you remember for sure? You've been complaining all over the internet that the site in question is stealing your work. If that's not the case.........you my friend, are open to "SLANDER". Good luck!
    First, did you bother to read the thread before posting this response? The OP never gave permission and the page WAS taken down. In addition, the OP gave the site owner the chance to respond and explain and they didn't.

Finally, I have to ask who you are in this. You seem to be stalking the OP claiming she is complaining "all over the Internet". We don't appreciate people trying to intimidate our members.
    Robert Valentin Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
    I've seen this complaint on other Author's sites. I looked up her numerous posts on this site... You can judge for yourself!! I simply told her to be careful!!

And are you, "who ever you are" trying to intimidate me? I did read her complaint! Back fourteen years ago when she first wanted her work published, a lot of upcoming authors posted their work on reading sites.

Just because that site removed her story, does not make it guilty of wrong doings!

And by the way... I'm a member here also!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Web site [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a web site to find cleaning services contract

Looking for a web site [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there.. I'm looking for aweb site named askme.com.. I was a member, but I became an official site for other stuff not related to answeing questions.. any 1 got an idea what happened to it?

Web site value [ 3 Answers ]

I own a large web site. Unders the relative key word search "saw blade sales" we come Up #1, I am intrested in selling the site to my disributor. Where can I go to find out What this Google ranking is worth?

Setting up web site and web shop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me the best way to set up a web site with web shop. I have looked online but overloaded with conflicting information. What things do I need and in what order?

Web site help [ 2 Answers ]

A web site has been made and we would like to go in and change pictures and add pictures but have no idea how to do this. Some one else built the site but isn't able to work on it continuosly like we want. We don't know how to do any of it. Mostly focusing on adding pictures and mabye working on...

View more questions Search