Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlesconklin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Laws on dating a 16
    What age can a 16 year old date in the state of Fl. In 2003 I know the law stated that a 16 year old can date a 21 year old with consent.What does the law state now? Any help will do trying to help a friend out with her problems
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Want to help that friend out... get her to date someone her own age... there is a VAST difference between a 16 year old and a 21 year old... emotionally and intellectually.

That 16 year old is easy prey to a 21 year old... who if they are chasing after someone that young... obviously has issues if they can't find an actual adult to date.

Incidentally the age of consent is 18 in Florida... not 16.

Mar 27, 2013, 08:08 AM
    What age can a 16 with consent date up to
    What age can a 16 year old with consent have a sexual relation ship with some one
    In the state of Florida
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Age of consent is 18 in Florida. However, there is a Close in Age consent where the age of both are considered. Such as a 16 year old can consent to someone older but there is a restriction on how old. Meaning they can't be over 21 or 22 (I don't remember the exact age but you can Google it). If one partner is over that restricted age the other partner has to be 17.

Having said all that you need to do your research and make sure you aren't breaking the law because it can have devastating effects on the older person's life.

Mar 27, 2013, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Age of consent is 18 in Florida. However, there is a Close in Age consent where the age of both are considered. Such as a 16 year old can consent to someone older but there is a restriction on how old. Meaning they can't be over 21 or 22 (I don't remember the exact age but you can google it). If one partner is over that restricted age the other partner has to be 17.

Having said all that you need to do your research and make sure you aren't breaking the law because it can have devastating effects on the older person's life.
    Thank you its not for me for some friends
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2013, 02:58 PM
    First, you are wrong about the law in 2003. As far as I know, there are no laws written that refer to dating. Any laws refer to sex between underage participants. As noted the age of consent in FL is 18.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Age of consent is 18 in Florida. However, there is a Close in Age consent where the age of both are considered. Such as a 16 year old can consent to someone older but there is a restriction on how old. Meaning they can't be over 21 or 22 (I don't remember the exact age but you can google it). If one partner is over that restricted age the other partner has to be 17.

It would be 23.

"Florida

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose Florida code, Title XLVI, Chapter 794" Ages of consent in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm. I'm trying to figure out how penetration by someone's sexual organ could be "for a bona fide medical purpose". Oh well.

Lets make it simple:

If the person hasn't had a 24th birthday: sex with someone 16+ is OK.
    If the person is 24+, sex with someone 18+ is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating laws [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old, my girlfriend is 15 and is turning 16 in August. Is it illegal for us to date? I know we can not have sex. I just want to know if we can be together? I live in VA.

Dating laws [ 2 Answers ]

If a young lady is 13 years and is dating a young man age 16 years is that legal?

Dating laws [ 25 Answers ]

OK am 17yrs old and I'm dating a 14yrs Old.Her parents are divorced, and her mom is okay with us dating, but her Dad isn't okay with because he doesn't like the fact that I don't like him because he's always hitting her and treating her bad in front of her friends evrytime she goes over his house...

Dating Laws [ 1 Answers ]

Okay now answer my question! I am a 16 year old girl, I've been in very few relationships with high schoolers because they are 1. immature 2. have no respect & 3. can't even take care of themselves. I know the law of "age of consent" thing well wouldn't that mean the same thing to date? He is 22...

View more questions Search