Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Mar 26, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Is a vegetarian diet healthier?
    There's all these studies out there that suggest vegetarians have lower rates of just about all kinds of cancer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
    Right, there are all kinds of studies.

Is your question whether anyone on AMHD can disprove "all kinds of studies"?
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Mar 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
    No I was just looking for information on AMHD in vegetarianism and health in general.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2013, 03:19 PM
    "We" read the same research you do.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 26, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Possibly, maybe even probably.
    Just remember that it's extremely difficult to do dietary studies, because people bring countless other variables into the equation.
    Vegetarians (by choice rather than poverty) tend to be health conscious in general, so how would you plan a study and eliminate all the 'bad habits' associated with one group vs the other?
    It is known that certain things about animal meats are not good, such as taking longer to digest than we were designed for, and that meat and dairy products and eggs are high in 'bad' cholesterol. They do provide protein, a few vitamins, and iron that are more work to get in vegetables. Studies seem to show that onions and garlic are good when eaten with meats to break them down. And so on. It depends, it depends...

Studies of entire cultures with similar diets overall tend to be a bit more revealing. Some countries where cattle raising is the main industry have high intestinal cancer rates, and even very poor countries who have nothing but rice and beans to live on have low rates, and that tells us something, but then they die of other things.

There's some confusion about the definition of vegetarian, so people who also eat no dairy or eggs are called vegan.

(I limit beef and pork and lamb, but eat chicken and fish and dairy, and make sure to have fresh vegetables.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Lower meat intake is more generally healty. Of course there are studies that show a all meat diet, or a all fish diet is best, A study is just as good as the money you pay the person doing the study
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
    This is one of those things that you'll need to read up on if you're interested. There's so much information out there, and unless you're actually interested in it, it's a lot of work for no gain.

We volunteer here, so really, we're not going to read the studies for you, or do research for you, if that's what you're asking.

Time to do some work if this is something you're really interested in pursuing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 26, 2013, 04:30 PM
    I've read a "Mediterranean diet" is good for general health and for forestalling heart attacks and strokes and high blood pressure.

Mayo Clinic -- Mediterranean diet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vegetarian help please.. [ 2 Answers ]

I have vegetarian beliefs and want to start being a vegetarian again. I was a vegetarian for awaile and wouldn't eat any meat,but now,all I seem to be eating is flesh! I'm really scared I will lose my friend if I tell her if my vegetarian diet is an off and on habit and not an ongoing thing like...

Vegetarian food [ 6 Answers ]

I heard that vegetarians could not eat jello. Jello is only made up of sugar and water. Is this a lie? If not why can they not eat that type of food? :confused:

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

Becoming a Vegetarian [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian and I have been eating meat for all of my life until now . If I stop eating meat all of the sudden will I get sick or something and are than any tips or special guidelines to follow while being a vegetarian?

Vegetarian [ 10 Answers ]

My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My...

View more questions Search