Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chet Damon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
    30' x 40' garage
    I am building a 30' x 40' ,3 bay garage. I plan on using a 40' LVL beam in the center to support the upstairs attic. Can I install a large enough beam to make it free standing ? Or will I need support post?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2013, 05:13 PM
    That's an engineering question but with dead and live load above I would think you need at least 1 post. The company that makes the LVL should be able to tell you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floors vs monolithic garage floors? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the pros and cons of a floating garage floor vs monolithic garage floor?

Tiled terrace on garage roof leaking rain in to garage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a concrete block built garage the roof of which acts as a terrace/patio. It is tiled with quarry tiles. Recently, during severe weather, the rain has started to run through the tiles (somehow? The grouting was waterproof and looks OK) and through the joints in the concrete into the...

How to build an interior wall inside garage without removing the garage door [ 5 Answers ]

I want to build a wall inside my 1 car garage, I have flooring down already with those 2ftX 2ft squares with plastic on the bottom and click together wood flooring on top. I can't (because of condo docs) remove the garage door.. but I want to make this into a bedroom. Myidea is to seal the garage...

How do I syncronize my remote control garage door pad with my garage door [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how I can syncronize my remote control pad to open the garage door from the car?? I recently reset my code on the panel, because I didn't know the original code and now when I drive up in the car, my remote contral pad does not work to open the garage door... Any possible...

From Pouring Garage Pad to Construction of Garage [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to wait after pouring the cement garage pad before you can begin construction on the garage?

View more questions Search