Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikkiava182 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
    Wonderful basement bathroom problem
    So for the past 6 months I've delt with this and quite frankly I don't want to waste money with a plumber until I'm 100% sure I can't fix it myself. I'm in a basement apartment, and all the toilets in my house are literally one on top of one another but on each level, so the water flows down into and under my apartment to the trap. I've had the problem of my toilet overflowing when I'm not home for a while so I turned off the water in the toilet when I'm not home. Then it started to not flush but bubble then later back up everyone in the entire houses "excreted matter" into my shower. We tried driano, it worked for 2 weeks, happened again, got a 35' snake, worked for a month now it's happening again. For example today I came home from work and my toilet was overflowing, after no one had been home all day in my apartment (not upstairs) I turned off the water let it go down in the toilet, then tested to see if it was going to overflow again by flushing this time it just bubbled. I got frustrated and let it go down and I walked away. Now 20 minutes later it flushes again. My toilet air vent line (I can't remember the name honestly) checked and stuck a hose down to try and see if there were any major blockages and there were none. We have 3 cesspools so there is overflow into the other if one fills up. Seriously some one make sense of this mess -_-
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
    You said 'apartment!? ' Management company/landlord/owner's problem! You pay good money for rent, you should have a good place to live. Get them to fix it!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Completely agree with Scott

If this is an apartment, the responsibility is on the landlord!

Mark

Mar 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
    It's my Dad's house, so technically I own half of it already...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:36 PM
    What happens when you run the washing machine or drain a tub a number of times?

Mar 24, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    What happens when you run the washing machine or drain a tub a number of times??
    The washing machine has a hose that drains into the far back yard and there isn't a tub in the house
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Septic or city sewer? If septic, when was the last time the tank was emptied?

Mar 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Septic I'm pretty sure and I'm not sure honestly
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:55 PM
    I can't be sure, of course, but sounds like it may be a good time to open the septic tank and take a look inside... may be full and need to be pumped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to finish my basement the first thing I want to do is add a bathroom I didn't get any plumbing roughed in, but I do know where the main drain is in the floor, can I tap into that for the drains and also how does it need to be vented

Bathroom plumbing with basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me what cause my upstairs bathroom to back up into my basement bathroom?

Bathroom in the basement [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house with an unfinished basement. I ve been thinking about finishing the basement and installing a bathroom down there. My question is how would I go about doing that. The waste line runs underneath the cement floor. I think it is made of cast iron but I'm not exactly...

Basement Bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

Ive just purchased a home and would like to add a full bath in the basement. The main plumbing drain appears to run into and below the concrete floor. The question is can the stub ins be tied into the existing drain? Can I cut up the floor and run the rough stub ins and hire a plumber to tie them...

New Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into...

View more questions Search