Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 04:14 AM
    Installing Doors
    Person is buy a bunch of prehung doors from Lowe's. Most are correct with the swings. Lowe's said all theirs door swing in. two of the doors need to swing out.
    Some of them suggested reversing the hinges. But in a prehung door with the jambs attached wouldn't' that make the installation more difficult.to take apart the
    Door from the jambs
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 24, 2013, 04:50 AM
    I assume these are exterior, and wood.
    Difficult, yes. I would return them and special order outswing doors, maybe from a small lumberyard, if Lowe's won't order them (maybe the person working that day didn't know it was possible).
    Where I live (northeast) we can get a big fat book from a big northeast supplier, with all the possible door, window, deck, and other products, and all the exterior doors can be ordered inswing or outswing, but no place is going to stock outswing.
    I don't know if they will cost the same or not. They should.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2013, 05:36 AM
    Then go to HD. They have in and out swing doors. In a way they are correct, I am looking at my bedroom door. From the bedroom it is an out swing but from the foyer it is an inswing. Hinge placement is the critical issue as to the direction you want the door to open.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Maybe I will check HD again. Yes one door is an interior closet door 18 x 30 need to swing out
    left. The other is an exterior door for an utility room that door also needs to be left swing out.
    Maybe between both HD and Lowe's they will accommodate me for the $675.00 sale
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:52 AM
    There is no in or out swing to interior doors. They all swing in and they all swing out. If you want it to swing in you install it so that it swings in. If you want it to swing out, you turn it around (frame and all) and install it so that it swings out.

Now there is a left and right hand swing. A left hand swing that swings out will be a right hand swing when installed to swing in.

An in swing, exterior door cannot be made (easily) into out swing door. Weather striping and threshold are different.

Never heard of an 18 X 30 closet door. There are 18" interior doors and 30" interior doors. Only 18 X 30 door I have is on a cabinet.

An interior, prehung doors cost about $75, $600 sounds like a lot of money for a utility room door.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 07:41 AM
    Thanks it is 18 x 80 closet door left hand out swing. Went you turn it around
    so it swing out left, will the knob be on the right?? Current the door now is left hand swing out with the knob on the right. Exterior door currently is left hand swing out.it is for an utility room
    the $675.00 is for all 4 doors, locks and labor
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2013, 08:38 AM
    I'd do it for a lot less! Menards has interior pre-hung doors for $50-70ish. Closet locks $10-12, locking a little more. I wonder how well your existing trim is going to look when it is reused on your new doors? Keep an eye on lumberyard subcontractors! Make sure they are insured! It isn't very difficult to hang pre-hung doors. Give it a try and save some cash.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
    On the prehung packet trim is included. I don't have any Menards in South Florida

Mar 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Thanks it is 18 x 80 closet door left hand out swing. Went you turn it around
    so it swing out left, will the knob be on the right??
    Pre-hung interior doors come left and right hand. If it's a left hand in swing, its right hand out swing. If it's a right hand in swing, it's a left hand out swing. Knobs or door handles are always on the opposite side from the hinges.
    An 18' door is an unusually small door and probably will have to be ordered but shouldn't cost much if any more. Menards price quoted is consistent with Home Depot and Lowe's. I think the price in DC area is $67 for a 30" interior pre-hung door.

for all 4 doors, locks and labor
    What does that mean? So far you have only mentioned 2 doors.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
    I appreciate your fine help. The 18x80 closet door is $52.00 at Lowe's, left hand swing in.
    Like you said I will just turn it around. That problem is solved. Only the exterior door remains
    Exterior door 30 x80 outswing $139.00 It doesn't mention left or right. But long as it is outswing I don't care. It is only an utility room. I do not have a Menards in my location in south fl

Mar 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
    My labor charge for that would probably be about $200-250, all depending how far I had to drive.

Exterior door 30 x80 outswing $139.00 It doesn't mention left or right
    They will have both. Exterior door will probably not include the interior trim for it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
    Thanks a million
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
    What is exterior door made of?

If you use a solid core door with an interior jamb on your utility room you can make it swing out.

On interior doors, return the ones that swing the wrong way and tell them you want the opposite swing.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Exterior door is thin skin steel over wood. Is an out swing door, Whether it left or right
    It doesn't say. But in any event as long as its out swing I don't care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installing bypass shower doors and the shwer walls aren't plumb so doors have gaps [ 2 Answers ]

Cannot adjust shower doors to align correctly because shower walls aren't plumb... the shower bypass doors/rails etc are level and plumb but they leave gaps because the wall of the shower isn't plumb... any way to correct that enough to align the doors? Out of plumb appx 1/8 " on both sides. ...

Installing bypass shower doors and the shwer walls aren't plumb so doors have gaps [ 0 Answers ]

Cannot adjust shower doors to align correctly because shower walls aren't plumb... the shower bypass doors are level and plumb but they leave gaps because the wall of the shower isn't plumb... any way to correct that enough to align the doors? Out of plumb appx 1/8 " on both sides.

Installing double doors [ 20 Answers ]

I have a set of hurricane resistant 15 pane french doors I want to install in replace of my 30" wide single door. I have a total of 65" of space to work with and my doors measure 30" each. It is a load bearing wall with just the roof overhead gable end. Can I replace my original 30" wide door...

Installing fixtures over garage doors [ 4 Answers ]

We just installed three single garage doors. Would like to put two light fixtures on either side of doors. Question: How high do I install light fixture or how low from top of garage door? Thank you

Installing Fiberglass Entry Doors [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting some new pre-hung fiberglass doors. I was told (by my brother) that I can’t use storm doors with fiberglass (or metal) doors. It turns into a greenhouse, and stuff then warps, including the parts of the storm door itself. Is that true? Thanks, Brian

View more questions Search