Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Hawaiians vs Wiccans
    Hi -

I was given a lovely Kukui Nut lei by my boss, who recently returned from Hawaii. Because I'm a Wiccan, I would love to use this symbol of royalty to connect to some of my deceased relatives who visited Hawaii (while still alive), but one of my cousins (who happens to be one of the above deceased relatives I want to connect to) told me stories in our childhood of sacred Hawaiian religious objects that have caused problems when used by "mainlanders". Although Tim's specific warnings were about bringing home things such as pieces of volcanic rock (which would anger Pele) or items found around ceremonial sites (like small Tiki gods or other such items left as gifts for the Hawaiian gods), I'm not sure if I would be angering any spirits if I use the lei that my boss no doubt was given as an honorarium. (Nothing against my boss, but every time she claims to have "bought" me something from one of her trips, it always turns out her "purchase" was actually something she got for free.)

Can anyone tell me if there are any gods related to Kukui Nuts leis that I should be paying special homage to in my spells?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Here are two web sites with some very interesting info as to the origins and uses of the Kukui Nut. They both reference Kamapua'a, the pig god. The lei is of less importance than the nut itself.

Canoe Plants of Ancient Hawai`i: KUKUI

Island Breath: Kauai Flora & Fauna - Kukui

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search