Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marmarplay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Settling with a collection agency
    Hi

Just wanted some feed back. I owe $274.00 to SBC-ameritech. Midland collections is offering a settlement of $205. They faxed the letter stating that the balance would be paid in full. And reported to the agencies. I am sending a check through the mail. What exactly do I write on the check? "cashing the check indicates..."
    Will that keep them from selling off the balance?

Thank you.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Send it certified with a copy of their letter, then write your own letter stating here is the 205 to close my account. On the check write payment to close account # whatever.

It shouldn't be too hard, if you have the letter and someone comes after you for the $70.00, which would almost be a waste of time, you can fax the letter back to them. I wouldn't worry about it.
    clohman Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Midland is full of it! I have a account with Midland or had a account with Midland and they are a trip. I settled my account for 70% of the balance of $406.00 (I paid them $284.49) First they had to ask me my income, family size and debt before they agreed to the amount as paid in full of $284.49. Well, to make a long story short - they have reported to the Credit Bureau that I owe them $121.00. Now, I have the letter showing my balance paid in settlement and I have to send this letter into Tran Union to get it to reflect it on my credit report. Just be careful with Midland, they can lead you to think one thing, then turn around and do something else. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

KY, collection agency practices [ 12 Answers ]

Last year, I was contacted by a lawyer I have never heard of in the next town about a few small old bills that didn't get paid, threatening to get a judgement. Total of around $1200. I wrote him back and said that I did not dispute the bills, and that I would pay $150 per month until they were...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your reply. I agree that getting a loan isn't a good idea but for some reason they just did not understand that. I made this debt for myself and intend to pay it but they also don't understand that I can't afford the monthly payment they are asking for and told them I would send...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search