Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitefields Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Benefits/Leave
    In Oklahoma should leave benefits and/or leave requests be different for salary and hourly employees?
    whitefields Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Benefits/Leave
    I have a salaried employee who thinks since she is salary doesn't need to fill out a leave request when she leaves work early. She feels that is part of the difference in being salary as oppose to hourly. Our policy does not differentiate between hourly & salary employees. We are in the state of Oklahoma.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
    I'd inform them if they intend to keep their job... they are going to start filling them out or be looking for another place to work.

They only get X amount of vacation time... and X amount of sick leave... if they are taking time off without properly reporting it they are stealing from the company Because no doubt they will still expect every minute of their vacation time despite having already taken hours or days of time that wasn't reported they were paid for..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
    Being salaried means not being strictly "on the clock" and is expected to stay until the job for the day is done. Some days she may leave early and other days she may have to stay late. However, there may be normal hours when the employee is expected to be at work and available - especially if the job requires interaction with other employees, clients, vendors, etc. And if the amount of work performed is related to the number of hours on the job then salaried employees may be expected to put in an average of, say, 40 hours per week - although some may be more and som less.

I infer that you feel this empoyee leaving early is a problem, but you haven't said why - please give us some more background and we can advise as to whether her behavior is acceptable. Also - what's a leave request, and what are your expectations regarding it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2013, 12:40 PM
    While you can't dock a salaried employee if they work a partial day, you certainly can require that they submit time sheets or official requests to leave early.

This employee is dead wrong.

Also a company can have different policies for salaried and hourly employees as long as they are consistent in applying those policies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date? [ 2 Answers ]

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date so I can use my PTO and get my full commission pay? Otherwise I will be cut 25% or more from what deals close while out on leave. However if I was on PTO-such as vacation-I would get 100%. Help!!

Don't want to leave.mother of my kids wants me to leave. [ 5 Answers ]

I love them all so much,but she says I have to go.if I stay around she gets angry and screams.im a good dad but my head and heart is all over the place,don't know what to do,she4 won't talk about it.

Ex not on lease will not leave.landlord gave her 30 days.still won't leave? [ 12 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend and I were on a lease and it expired 7/15/09. I signed a new lease with only me on it. She will not leave. She stated the landlord had to give her 30 more days to leave. The landlord then sent a certified letter stating she had to leave in 30 days. She will not leave. What rights...

View more questions Search