Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Comeandgetme12 Posts: 99, Reputation: -5

Mar 20, 2013, 07:32 PM
    Too dumb? Or not
    Hi I'm jules I'm 16 and have 2 ideas for a career. I'll either be an RN or a veterinarian. Either way I'm attending vocational school during my junior and senior years wich will certify me as a CNA ( certified nurse assistant). They make close to as much as a beginning teacher, right out of high school. Yes I will have enough core classes to allow me to do or go to any university. Becoming an RN isent as rigorous as as a vet is . I have a 3.625 GPA and that's on a 4.0 scale( for one semester) math is hard for me especially geomentry. I have high bs and low a's in algebra, some times in hard parts I can drift to a c, but its allways a or be by report card. Biology I do well in, I rock at genetics and punnet squares.And Spanish I do fine and I'm very good at English. Yes I tend to make more b's than a's. (Most are high b's) but not allways. I am really considering going to pudue university 4 vet. But if I'm not smart enough then I don't want to waste time or money. Being a CNA will help pay for bills and I'm in a program that will pay tuition to any instate school. Am I smart enough to be a vet?
    Hope someone can help.
    Thanks
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 20, 2013, 07:45 PM
    If Math is hard for you, it may be difficult to become a vet. Have you looked at the admission requirements for the universities you'd like to attend? You might want to start there. Your spelling isn't quite where I'd expect it to be for an A/B student.

Mar 21, 2013, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    If Math is hard for you, it may be difficult to become a vet. Have you looked at the admission requirements for the universities you'd like to attend? You might want to start there. Your spelling isn't quite where I'd expect it to be for an A/B student.
    thanks for the advice. Sometimes when I'm typing on my iPod touch I don't always hit the correct letter and I don't always
    Edit it either. But yes, there is room for improvement in my spelling. I still manage a's and b's. Lol
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 21, 2013, 05:51 PM
    It's admirable that you are planning your career path even if you change your mind. It sounds like you are interested in health care, whether people or animals, and those are jobs that will always be there (people still go to vets in a recession). I am a baby boomer, the generation that is now getting old and about to clog up all the nursing homes and retirement communities, so we will be writing your paycheck if you chose to take care of us!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
    You are doing well in school and can certainly qualify to become a vet. Working full time while in college will be very hard and I would recommend you try to get financial aid, scholarships and student loans so that you can limit your work hours to no more than 20 per week. You can likely get a part-time CNA job at a nursing home near your university.

You do have a problem with mixing text speak into your writing, evident in this and another of your posts today that was so convoluted, I had to give up - I literally couldn't force myself to read the whole thing. This one is better but still, poor punctuation, spelling, capitalization and so on. You need to fix this problem before you go to college, please.

I would recommend you consider private college and universities in addition to the state schools. I recommend this because they have better endowments and are often able to provide huge discounts for things like a B average which state schools don't. You may qualify for a Pell Grant, and can get some student loans as well. When you have no money and your parents can't help, you are eligible for more need-based scholarships. The combination of good grades (which you have) and financial need (which it sounds like you have) is perfect for getting a lot of money free for college.

And the school is Purdue, not "pudue". Make sure you get that right when you inquire about your eligibility to attend and talk to their financial aid options!

Mar 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    You are doing well in school and can certainly qualify to become a vet. Working full time while in college will be very hard and I would recommend you try to get financial aid, scholarships and student loans so that you can limit your work hours to no more than 20 per week. You can likely get a part-time CNA job at a nursing home near your university.

You do have a problem with mixing text speak into your writing, evident in this and another of your posts today that was so convoluted, I had to give up - I literally couldn't force myself to read the whole thing. This one is better but still, poor punctuation, spelling, capitalization and so on. You need to fix this problem before you go to college, please.

I would recommend you consider private college and universities in addition to the state schools. I recommend this because they have better endowments and are often able to provide huge discounts for things like a B average which state schools don't. You may qualify for a Pell Grant, and can get some student loans as well. When you have no money and your parents can't help, you are eligible for more need-based scholarships. The combination of good grades (which you have) and financial need (which it sounds like you have) is perfect for getting a lot of money free for college.

And the school is Purdue, not "pudue". Make sure you get that right when you inquire about your eligibility to attend and talk to their financial aid options!
    Ha! Thank you. In school my spelling and punctuation is a lot better than on here because I'm writing it and not pecking tiny letters on an iPod, and if coarse I edit it ;). Pudue, that is funny, I knew it was purdue. Purdue us a university and I would be able to get my tuition paid for there for four years. Half as long as I would need to go. I an dyslexic, would that change your opinions on my worthiness of being a vet and I'm only ranked 23 out of 131 in my class and Im not in any of the gifted kid classes, I am in the average joe classes.

Mar 21, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post

Ha! Thank you. In school my spelling and punctuation is a lot better than on here because I'm writing it and not pecking tiny letters on an iPod, and if coarse I edit it ;). Pudue, that is funny, I knew it was purdue. Purdue is a university and I would be able to get my tuition paid for there for four years. Half as long as I would need to go. I am a dyslexic, would that change your opinions on my worthiness of being a vet? Also I'm only ranked 23 out of 131 in my class and Im not in any of the gifted kid classes, I am in the average joe classes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Dumb of What? [ 5 Answers ]

Just learned that it make a difference which way you put the stopper in a sink pop up assembly. Had to replace sink drain in wife's bath sink. She let some kind of cleaner sit in the sink and ruined the brass finish on the drain flange. New pop up wouldn't open as much as the old one. After...

Are blondes really dumb [ 21 Answers ]

Is it ture that blondes are really dumb

This may seem dumb, but. [ 13 Answers ]

I really feel kind of stupid posting a question like this, but here goes... you don't know me, so who cares right? Lol Well, I've always enjoyed drawing- but I've been doing a lot since I started doing phone work a few years ago. Started just doodling, then got more and more complex- it's...

Help me I'm dumb [ 1 Answers ]

What are some common uses for calcium carbonate?

I'm dumb... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?

View more questions Search