Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by betty70 View Post
    I'm not giving up, that will never happen but also am preparing at this time for the worst being that Im out of disciplining actions. The only ones i have left she and others may not feel is appropriate. like trying to take to the local police station to see if they can now leave her in a jail cell for a half hour being that since the last time the police talked to her has not helped her to stop.
    Please don't do that. I am guessing that won't a make a hill-of-beans difference and suspect there is something else going on here beyond simple naughtiness or willfulness.

Why did the psychiatrist send you to a therapist (a master's level counselor, I am guessing)? Why didn't the psychiatrist take her on as a patient?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:51 PM
    I was wondering about an underlying behavior disorder myself and would be looking for a second opinion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:51 PM
    What state do you live in?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
    I'm not giving up, that will never happen but also am preparing at this time for the worst being that Im out of disciplining actions. The only ones i have left she and others may not feel is appropriate. like trying to take to the local police station to see if they can now leave her in a jail cell for a half hour being that since the last time the police talked to her has not helped her to stop.
    You're considering jail for a 7 year old child?

I really really really feel that the therapist she's seeing has put ideas into your head. I don't agree that a child of 7 can be diagnosed as a sociopath, and I know that no therapist is educated enough to even offer that diagnosis.

Either we're not getting the whole story, or you're just not prepared, or willing, to deal with a child with issues Stealing, yes, it's bad. When the school said they wouldn't punish her for it, what did you do? Did you set limits? Did you punish her for this behavior, or did you let it go because the school wouldn't deal with it? Has she actually gone to a psychiatrist for more than one session?

This all sounds like you just don't want to deal with it anymore, and sending her away to boot camp or jail, is the easy way out. Parenting isn't always easy. If what you're doing isn't working, you fight until you find something that does work. This is not an adult you're dealing with, this is a 7 year old child. If you find the right avenue, you should be able to change her behavior. If not, it's too soon to label her a sociopath, and send her away. She at least deserves the chance to change. Sending her to boot camp or jail, is sealing her fate, the fate one therapist (not even a doctor, not a psychiatrist, but a therapist) told you she has.

You chose to adopt this child, you need to fight to save this child, and not doom her to a destiny that right now, isn't set in stone.

Fight for her. She can't fight for herself, she's only 7!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
    I'm still waiting to hear about any additional school behavior. :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:58 PM
    Her fears of ordinary things like sand and water do sound like some of the sights and sounds that bother autistics, and she may be over stimulated by every sight, sound, and movement around her.
    Are you near a teaching hospital with a good psych and neurology dept?
    I agree that the therapist sounds incompetent.
    betty70 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Please don't do that. I am guessing that won't a make a hill-of-beans difference and suspect there is something else going on here beyond simple naughtiness or willfulness.

Why did the psychiatrist send you to a therapist (a master's level counselor, I am guessing)? Why didn't the psychiatrist take her on as a patient?
    Im not sure what you mean at the before your question. One of my foster children had been going to a psychiatrist for a while. At one point I had discussed with her about my 7 year old. I was told by her that the behaviors my 7 years old was expressing was not of a normal child and that it needed to be put to a stop of it will get worst. Also that she should come in to get an evaluation, so I made an appointment. When that day came another psychiatrist meet with her and said to me she had no problem that she was just copying other children behaviors and that some children in school might be bulling her. That she should see a therapist.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Im not sure what you mean at the before your question.
    Which state do you live in?

I'm a therapist, a counselor, whose specialty is children. During the past twenty years, autism has been a special interest of mine. Your daughter shows signs that this could be what is going on with her. That's not a diagnosis by any means, but it is something I really urge you to consider and explore.

Mar 21, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear about any additional school behavior. :(
    Her grades are good, she respectful to any adult. She has no friends not in school or girl scouts, besides her taking those things nothing else. I do hate to say that she was being bullied in kindergarten to the point she had found out that I was not her biological mom. When school ended was when she had told me, so I was unable stop it when it was happening. This year she was able to tell the principal, and it was put to a stop that I know of, or what she tells me.

Mar 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
    What state do you live in?
    Bergen county N.J>
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 06:27 PM
    bergen county N.J>
    Thank you. You're in a very populated area. It would be good to find a psychologist who specializes in children and behavior problems and even in autism. Your daughter could be acting out in frustration about something. Be a good detective and find out what is going on in her head and what is not working for her.

Mar 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Which state do you live in?

I'm a therapist, a counselor, whose specialty is children. During the past twenty years, autism has been a special interest of mine. Your daughter shows signs that this could be what is going on with her. That's not a diagnosis by any means, but it is something I really urge you to consider and explore.
    Thank you! I never considered that possibility,I will be looking into that. Can drugs being taken though pregnancy cause autism.

Mar 21, 2013, 06:31 PM
    Thank you. You're in a very populated area. It would be good to find a psychologist who specializes in children and behavior problems and even in autism. Your daughter could be acting out in frustration about something. Be a good detective and find out what is going on in her head and what is not working for her.
    I will thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Thank you! I never considered that possibility,I will be looking into that. Can drugs being taken though pregnancy cause autism.
    They are still looking for the causes of autism. It could be hereditary (as in my husband's and son's case) or even from the environment. I haven't heard that drugs during pregnancy would cause it, but we do know something happens somewhere during a child's development, either before or after birth. Autism covers a huge spectrum of behaviors. Here is a long list of possibilities (my husband has some, my son has different ones from my husband--but both are very smart!) --

Martha Kate Downey - List of Characteristics

Again, we/I can't diagnose your daughter, but it certain is worth a look at autism. It would explain her "sociopathic" behavior as she acts out in frustration.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Her grades are good, she respectful to any adult. She has no friends not in school or girl scouts, besides her taking those things nothing else. I do hate to say that she was being bullied in kindergarten to the point she had found out that I was not her biological mom. When school ended was when she had told me, so i was unable stop it when it was happening. This year she was able to tell the principal, and it was put to a stop that i know of, or what she tells me.
    It's interesting to hear that she does well in school and has no real behavior problems. I've had many autistic students, along with emotionally disturbed, and they exhibited behaviors in class and on the playground. Does she say she has no friends, or has that been observed by her teacher? Plenty of my students say the same thing, yet I watch them play with children at each recess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summer Science camps [ 0 Answers ]

Has anyone gone or sent their children to any type of science camp. My son is pretty smart, spoken from a proud father, I have no bias,and he loves math and science in school. I think he would thrive in a science camp. Are there any that you smart people out there know of that are good. Thanks ...

Army Camps? [ 0 Answers ]

I want to join the army so I can serve my country... I'm just about to finish college and don't know what to do with my life... However, I want to be sure I know what I'm jumping into. Do you guys know of any camps that would simulate the army experience? I tried googling but all I can find are...

Wrestling camps [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any wresting camps for beginner girls?

Forensic Summer Camps! [ 1 Answers ]

This isn't really a question, but more of something that I thought everyone would be interested in, since this is a Forensic Science forum. I found these two great Summer Camps for Forensics for high school students, and I thought this would be the perfect place to share them with you! Union...

WW2 japanese concentration camps [ 2 Answers ]

How did Japanese concentration camps have an impact on the war?:D

View more questions Search