Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dollslemonade Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Trying to find two childhood books
    There are two books I'm interested in finding again, the second most of all.
    A couple days ago I was in a book shop when I was reminded of a story I read in primary school.
    It was a story set in Africa I think, and there was a monster or god that needed sacrifices and a village sacrificed a girl, I'm not sure if she was just a girl or had a significant title, but she was saved; I don't remember if someone saved her or if she saved herself but she escaped. I really can't remember what happened but I remember that the escape was just in the middle of the story and there was more after that and it was intense. (As intense a children's book can get for a seven year old). Any ideas?

Another book I read when I was in middle school, I remember a lot more about it.
    It starts with a little girl being born facing the wrong way; she's supposed to be facing north I think but she's facing south which is a bad omen and her mother lies to herself and says she was definitely born north (could be the other way round).
    When she is older something happens and she's taken by a polar bear to a castle, there she lives with the bear uncertain of why she's there but she occupies herself by cleaning or something; at night she wakes up to find a boy sleeping beside her on several occasions. One night the boy wakes up when she does and freaks out about how he only had one more night to get rid of the curse of being a bear by day and now he has to marry the witch that cursed him.
    He sends her back home but she follows him to save him and it ends up being a challenge between her and the witch and the witch is so confident that she'll win that she lets the girl decide on the challenge; she challenges the witch to clean the wax out of the bear-boy's shirt, I think without magic. The witch tries and tries but can't get it out, she doesn't believe the girl can if she can't but she does; there's a scuffle and she and the bear-boy leave, and get married and the girls dad find's it strange that the bear-boy puts the ring on her thumb and not her wedding finger but doesn't dwell on it because she looks happy.

Its also entirely possible I've read four books and just mashed them together in my head, I don't think I have but you never know.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
    My suggestion is that you call the children's department at your public library (or a bigger one, if yours is small) and ask for reader's advisory help on this. They might be able to untangle your storylines and come up with at least one title for you.
    Quinn F Posts: 6,048, Reputation: 913
    Movies Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
    The second book is called East aka North Child.
    Dollslemonade Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2013, 07:51 AM
    Thank you very much!
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Mar 29, 2013, 02:03 PM
    The first one might possibly (maybe?) be:
    At Her Majesty's Request: An African Princess in Victorian England
    (here's some of the plot)

.....a fascinating and dramatic glimpse into the life of an African princess living in Victorian England. In 1848, a very young Egbado princess watched as her parents were murdered and her village burned. Her captor, King Gezo of the Dahomans, kept her alive to be a human sacrifice. She was rescued two years later by Commander Frederick Forbes of the HMS Bonetta.....
    Books R4 Teens - Book Review - At Her Majesty's Request: an African Princess in Victorian England

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please HELP me find my childhood animes! [ 5 Answers ]

Thanks everyone for helping me find animes like (Gall Force, They were Eleven and Space Transformer). If you can, please, also find these... Thank you very much! NO.1) In this I remember the first scenes in this movie were that there was a huge strom, snowstorm, and there was castle in the...

How would try to find a friend from childhood? [ 1 Answers ]

Childhood friend from the 60"s can't find Maiden Name: Susan Rice Mother: Inez Rice Sister: Judy Rice

I am trying to find out the name of a movie from my childhood. [ 0 Answers ]

It was released before 1991. The movie was about a bunch of characters (animals, I think) that are at a circus. The are puppet like in their make up. Not with strings and sticks, they just looked "real" not a cartoon. I remember one of the characters told the joke about dreaming he was eating a...

View more questions Search