Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R31211 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Stomach cancer
    I am 14 years old from Illinois, and I am just wondering these following questions:

1. How old can you be to get it?
    2. How do you get it?
    3. Is it curable?

I've been trying to make some research, but the information I have found is not really helping me easy my worries.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
    You can get cancer at any age. Some is curable and some is not. I'm surprised that your research didn't give you this info.

Where have you been researching?

No one knows 100% "how" you get cancer. Many cancers have a strong hereditary link.

Why does this worry you?

Mar 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
    I made some research on Google, and the information I kept getting did not seem accurate.

The only reason to why I asked this was because I've had stomach pain for about 8 months now. In case you are wondering, "well why haven't you gone to the doctor?", I have.
    I went to the doctor a couple of months ago, but nothing was found.

Thank you for helping!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
    Are you referring to that pain you have? Now you are thinking it's stomach cancer?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 21, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Did you see the doctor with a parent present and neglect to mention that you have been sexually active in the past?
    One of the first things a girl (who has had sex) with stomach pains should do is be tested for STDs.
    Can you describe the pain in detail? Not that it will make it able to be diagnosed online, but there might be a clue somewhere.
    There's always stress, and even though it's vague, it's not to be dismissed lightly. Teens do get ulcers; not a lot, but they do.
    What kind of exam did you have?
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
    You beat me to it, Joy - STD is a strong possibiity.

Apr 4, 2013, 10:51 AM
    As I previously mentioned, I went to the doctor.
    When I got there I explained my stomach pain and how It scares to me think that I might have STDs due to a sexual assault that happened to me last summer.
    Afterwards, a phlebotomist collected some blood and also gave me a cup to pee in.
    I got my results within a week or so and found out that I have nothing wrong with me.
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 11:02 AM
    We didn't know you had mentioned STDs to the doctor. Many doctors neglect to ask a 14 year old.
    I wonder about the emotional part of the assault. Most of us have had times of stress that hit our stomachs over either a short intense period, or a long slow one, when the stress isn't addressed and at least somewhat resolved or worked on. Have you had any therapy?
    Do you think about what happened a lot? Do you sleep OK?

Also, when doctors do basic tests and tell you there is 'nothing' wrong, what they really mean is 'there is nothing showing on the basic tests they did first.' You are expected to go back if pain continues, and then further testing can be done for more unusual conditions. As I said, ulcers are rare in teens but they do happen. There are plenty of possibilities. Doctors go from most common to most rare, in order, and yes, they do miss sometimes.

Are you taking anything at all? Anything? Vitamins, supplements, antacids, aspirin, birth control pills? Is there any food or drink that you consume a lot of, such as Coke or any soda?

Can you describe the pain in detail - what it's like, when it happens, where exactly it is, is it broad or in a tiny spot, etc?

Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
    This lady who is from Voice (deals with sexual assault and such) comes to my school every Tuesday during my study hall time to talk to me.
    I admit that I think about death more than I think about what happened to me, and for some reason I still can not understand why I do. It might be because I am questioning my faith.
    I do have trouble sleeping; I usually wake up out of nowhere and feel suffocated, but I try to go back to bed even though it's a difficult thing for me to do.
    I've tried telling my mom about my problems but because I remember her telling me that I usually talk about dumb things I decided not to even bother.
    I'm not taking anything. I eat well and drink plenty of water.
    When I get the stomach pain I feel like I am being stung. There were times when I couldn't even walk because of the fact that it will feel so tight and so I cried. It's undescribable but I am being sincere.
    I would love to go to the doctor but I don't know how or what to ask anymore.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 11:36 AM
    You don't ask anything. You go to the Doctor and describe the stomach pains and the Doctor performs tests and diagnoses the problem.

What does the counsellor say?
    current pert

Apr 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Again - Can you describe the pain in detail - what it's like, when it happens, where EXACTLY it is, is it broad or in a tiny spot, etc?
    tita1 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Stomach cancer?how could you asure anyway the pains come form your stomach,maybe you have inflamed appendix.. but do you feel any burn often?after eating maybe?. do you see blood in stool?
    Sometimes the origion of this cancer can be due to bacterial infection in there(Helicobacter pylori).Curing this kind of disease mostly comes by surgey.. There is no exact way to prevent it from happening however having a proper diet with low salt could be saving..
    Anyway I don't suggest your case is a stomach cancer.. it could be an ulcer in it or in a nearby organ.. you have to ask for a whole body check up(digestive system).
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2013, 05:43 PM
    I have never heard that the origin of cancer is a bacterial infection. What is your source for this info?
    tita1 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2013, 01:39 AM
    I am a dentist student,we have studied this through many subjects,it's totally true,you can ask your doctor : )
    Not with all cancer kinds,but stomach cancer specificly mostly yes.
    current pert

Apr 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
    tita1, this is a 14 year old girl who most likely does not have stomach cancer, and we are trying to ask questions one would ask a 14 year old.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2013, 06:16 AM
    In a 14-year old girl? This is irresponsible, frightening advice.

Where are you a Dentist student?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 08:26 AM
    Okay... so... where to start.

First off it is most likely NOT cancer. H. pylori does cause stomach cancer but it is more likely in people who have been experiencing lifelong stomach ulcerations. 14 years old is not a common age for any type of GI cancer.

Next, I agree with whoever asked about the STD's, they can cause abdominal pain. You should try and see your doctor and get tested, just in case because the long term effects of most of them can be very damaging. Also, because you were assaulted it is likely that your pain is psychogenic. I'm not saying it's not real, I'm saying that it's a result of the trauma you experienced during the sexual assault. Abdominal pain is a very common complaint of women who have been sexually assaulted.

If it's alright, could you answer some questions for me and maybe we can narrow this down a bit further.

-Where exactly does it hurt? Right side, left side, middle, top, bottom... be as descriptive as you can.
    -How would you describe the pain? Burning, sharp, dull, achy...
    -How long have you had this pain?
    -Does the pain come and go?
    -Does anything you eat make the pain worse?
    -Is the pain worse before or after eating?
    -Does the pain wake you up at night?
    -Is the pain worse when you're menstruating? (If you have started that is... )
    -Is the pain worse with bowel movements? (Humor me here, you've no idea how much this can help with a diagnosis).
    -How many bowel movements do you usually have in a day?
    -How would you describe your stool? Are they black, white, normal brown, do you see blood in or on them?
    -Have you lost any weight?
    -Have you noticed any skin changes?
    -Have you experienced any joint pain?
    -When was the date of your last period?
    -Have you experienced any abnormal smells from your vagina?
    -Have you experienced any discharge from your vagina?
    -Are you currently taking any medications?
    -Are there any other symptoms?

Sorry I know that's a lot, but like I said before a few of these questions can go a long way in narrowing down if there is actually something wrong. In the main time, you should really try and see a doctor if you're that concerned about the pain.

Apr 25, 2013, 10:27 AM
    But what if I can't describe it, what then ?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by R31211 View Post
    But what if I can't describe it, what then ?
    Just do the best you can.
    current pert

Apr 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
    R31211, think of your torso from under your breasts on down, and divide into four parts, 2 above the belly button and 2 below. Left side and right side (or 'right in the middle.') Try to say where you feel the pain (for now).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stomach cancer [ 1 Answers ]

Can stomach cancer be detected with a blood test?

I'm worried I have stomach cancer I have pains and cant eact propley and I'm bloated [ 1 Answers ]

I think I have stomach cancer what shouls I do I don't want to worry my mum

How can you tell if you have any tpye of skin cancer to breast cancer? [ 3 Answers ]

I get this lumps that are painful. They are between my shoulders blades. There are cases were I pass out after feeling real hot. I suffer from unknow pain causes and It hurts to go to the bathroom. I also have trouble with sleeping I sometime go to bed early and when I wake up the next day I feel...

Stomach cancer [ 1 Answers ]

My husband just a tumor removed from his stomach a week ago and they also removed a small part of his stomach. A week later he is still having a lot of pain and is beginning to look fatigue. Should he still feel this way or is it a possibility he is still bleeding? What are the signs I should...

Problems with chemo for stomach cancer [ 3 Answers ]

I know someone that has primary cancer in his stomach (gist) and was taking gleevec for chemo. He recently found out the chemo didn't work and he has a problem in the past with meth. Could it be because he used that the chemo didn't work?

View more questions Search