Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zulema Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 12:36 PM
    Dentist hipaa violation
    I had a procedure done with a dentist. Pictures were taking of my teeth and myself for my before and after. Papers were signed that I did not want pictures marketed or revealed to anyone these were for my records only. It been almost a year ago since the procedure. When I walk into a local store, someonw waves me down and says hey did you to this procedure at this Doc office. They did a great job on your teeth. I denied it of course because I was embarrassed. But it was me. What Can I do for this. I feel violated and how many others have seen my personal pics at his office.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Can you be sure that they shared your pictures? If they did, they violated your rights.

That said, if you report them they could be fined by their regulatory body for the violation. For you to collect damages, you would have to demonstrate how the violation harmed you and it has to be substantive to be worth pursuing.

Maybe you could ask for some money back on the procedure, or additional work at no charge to make up for the violation of your privacy, but I doubt there's a viable law suit here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Do you have copies of what you signed?

The first thing I would do os go back to the dentist and find out how someone saw your pics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did my dentist break hipaa [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter had an appointment that she had missed. One of the employees is an ex-girlfriend of her dad's. He is not listed as a contact or on her paperwork anywhere. She called him and told him she had an appointment and they couldn't get ahold of me for her appointment. Is this OK?

Is it a HIPAA violation if a dentist office employee calls my emergency contact? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently was referred to see the general dentist for a root canal issue and recent development of TMJ I am having now by my othodontist(they performed the root canal on me and overfilled it and now denying it is harmful even though I have bleeding gums around that general area. Also, they deny...

Hipaa violation? Dentist office released personal records to unknown email account [ 7 Answers ]

I recently asked my dental office to email me a copy of my treatment plan as I had some questions regarding fees. I confirmed my correct email address on paper at the office, on the phone with the office, and in an email sent their account. I was told the next day that my plan was sent to a...

HIPPAA Violation by my dentist? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm an adult woman who lives with, and is for the most part financially supported by, my mother. (insert long sad story here) I have had extensive dental problems and have had a lot of dental work done by a very competent and expensive dentist, paid for by my mother. He is also my mother's dentist...

Did my Dentist Office break a HIPPA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I borrowed money from a friend to pay for my child's dental bill. She called to the office to get a receipt for the payment and instead of a receipt they faxed her my child's dental records as to proceedures and charges on my account which is really none of her business and would prefer that she...

View more questions Search