Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerveen ymasa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Ear piercing
    I got my ear pierced ( cartilage) last march 14. It was actually a gun-pierced. On the first two days, it was still OK but on the third day, it began to swell. I'm also encountering redness and I' ve seen some yellowish discharge on it. My classmate told me that its not just reddish. Its like purplish in color. I don't know what to do. Can you help me heal it. Thank you.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 20, 2013, 02:57 AM
    Take the piercing out if it's really bad.

If it's not bad or for some reason you insist on keeping it in. You need to clean it often, maybe every three hours or so. The best way to do this is to use isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. It's especially important to make sure that the earring is clean. Also you need to rotate the earring every time you clean your ear- if you don't have a rotatable earring (aka a stud) get one; they should have done it with a stud in the first place.

If you apply pressure to the hole and there's purulent discharge (pus) this is a definite sign of infection and you need to be extra cautious to not only remove the pus and keep the thing clean. If the pus is excessive or you don't feel comfortable removing it go see your doctor.

If you develop a fever, if it persists, or becomes worse- GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!! The infection could spread to your blood causing sepsis, shock, and even meningitis: all of which are life threatening.
    keeks143 Posts: 149, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
    WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT TAKE OUT THE EARRING. I f you do, you are trapping the infection and making it even worse. Just keep an eye for another couple of days,then go to the doctor immedialely. Gun piercings are bad news. And also, don't touch it. Touching it can rage the infection and make it even worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear piercing [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wanting my ear cartliage don't with a gun at claire's, but I need some pointers first! It would be nice if I can have some encouragment because I'm wanting it done by this Saturday before school starts. And I was wondering if those of you with LOW pain tolerence(just like me) think its...

Ear Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to know if I would still be able to get my other ear pierced if I had pierced it on my own about 4 years back but took it out right after piercing it,I am concerned that it could have possibly gotten tough inside and it would be unable to get a piercing needle through it but when I...

Ear piercing [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I'm having trouble again with my cartlage piercing. I am getting the same little gross bump near the piercing... I didn't poke it with a needle this time but it did break open on its own. I have been sleeping on it pretty much every night because I just got my industrial done on my other ear....

Ear piercing [ 0 Answers ]

So I got my Ears pierced two days ago. Everything great and all but one of my ears is no more swollen except one. They both kind of tender and I know I'm in the healing process but is it normal for my ear ear to be still swollen? I just got it and spend lot of money to get it done professionally...

Ear Piercing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi so my friend got her ears pierced today and the lady at the station made them really uneven and the one was even drooping and crooked so her mom took the drooping bad one out and she is going to get them redone but how long should she wait because the lady at the place told her mom 24 hours but...

View more questions Search