Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123chris456 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2013, 01:29 PM
    I have a question on Apartment living
    Hello: I currently am in an Apartment and have been living there for over 2 years. I pay my rent always on time. Now, it is time to renew my lease yet again. However the rent went up another $50. Its getting expensive, especially since I have to still pay all the utilities too. So I contacted the office and I mentioned that I was a federal worker and if they could give me a discount. They said they could not give me a discount, but they see what they can do for me since I have always paid my rent on time.. They have not gotten back with me yet as to what that is that they can do for me, but in the interim, I am just wondering what it could it be, if they can not give me a discount? I have to renew in a month if I decide to stay.

Any thoughts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
    First, the issue is not so much $50 but how much that is compared to what you pay. If you pay $1000/month then $50 is 5% and not a large increase at all. If you pay $300 it is.

The Apartment complex has expenses too. Taxes, maintenance, etc. Their costs are going up too so they have to pass that along.

They might decide that a tenant who pays regularly, doesn't cause trouble and is "a bird in hand" is worth keeping even at the same rental. But you just have to keep pursuing them and tell them you have to make a decision before the deadline to renew is up.

P.S. The Feedback forum is about questions about this site. I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum.

Mar 18, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, the issue is not so much $50 but how much that is compared to what you pay. If you pay $1000/month then $50 is 5% and not a large increase at all. If you pay $300 it is.

The Apartment complex has expenses too. Taxes, maintenance, etc. Their costs are going up too so they have to pass that along.

They might decide that a tenant who pays regularly, doesn't cause trouble and is "a bird in hand" is worth keeping even at the same rental. But you just have to keep pursuing them and tell them you have to make a decision before the deadline to renew is up.

P.S. The Feedback forum is about questions about this site. I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum.
    Thank you so much for your answer and thank you for moving my question to a more appropriate section. BTW, what section was it anyway? Your answer was helpful, but the leasing office already knows when I need to make a decision because they are the ones who sent me an email. Thanks so much again.

Mar 18, 2013, 01:43 PM
    You had originally posted in the Feedback forum.

Of course they know it, that doesn't mean that it won't slip through the cracks. You can't count on them coming back with an offer on a timely basis. You have to prod them.

Does your lease have an automatic renewal clause or does it just go to month to month?

Mar 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You had originally posted in the Feedback forum.

Of course they know it, that doesn't mean that it won't slip through the cracks. You can't count on them coming back with an offer on a timely basis. You have to prod them.

Does your lease have an automatic renewal clause or does it just go to month to month?
    The lease does have some sort of automatic meaning that you sign sign like an add on to the original lease saying you are continuing for another year and what the new rate is. I will see them anyway on Friday when I pay the current months rent. Then I will see what can be discussed.

Mar 18, 2013, 03:12 PM
    Keep us posted.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2013, 04:08 PM
    First - rentals are still going up because foreclosed on homeowners are still having to rent and vacancy in a lot of the country is low. If you could buy a house, the sooner the better. You don't ask for a discount when buying; you make low low offers and grit your teeth if the owner balks, gets upset, or counteroffers just a tiny bit, and sooner or later you get a real bargain.
    Second, asking isn't really a proactive way to handle this rent either. Not only emphasize what a good renter you are, what a neat and un-damaging renter you are who never has to even call about a toilet running, but also say that you have been looking around, and just mention that you have someone at work who is a landlord who really wishes he could get rid of a tenant and rent to you. A lie, but it's all part of the game. Just leave it right on the fence in case you have to stay and accept the increase.

Mar 19, 2013, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    First - rentals are still going up because foreclosed on homeowners are still having to rent and vacancy in a lot of the country is low. If you could buy a house, the sooner the better. You don't ask for a discount when buying; you make low low offers and grit your teeth if the owner balks, gets upset, or counteroffers just a tiny bit, and sooner or later you get a real bargain.
    Second, asking isn't really a proactive way to handle this rent either. Not only emphasize what a good renter you are, what a neat and un-damaging renter you are who never has to even call about a toilet running, but also say that you have been looking around, and just mention that you have someone at work who is a landlord who really wishes he could get rid of a tenant and rent to you. A lie, but it's all part of the game. Just leave it right on the fence in case you have to stay and accept the increase.
    Thank you for your response. I wish I could buy a house right now, but I do not have a decent down payment yet and have not found one yet. That is one of the reasons I would like to keep the rent low so I could start saving la ittle for the house. Thanks so much for your advice. Have a great day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of crackheads illegally living under my apartment? [ 2 Answers ]

Everyday I feel myself getting sicker and sicker because my money grubbing landlord has crackheads illegally living in the basement below my apartment. Every night they argue, fight and smoke what I suspect is crack and the smoke comes up through the floor and along the pipes coming from the...

I've been living in my apartment for 5 months, my upstairs neighbors are horrible! [ 1 Answers ]

My upstairs neighbors are horrible, constant stomping (either with or without shoes) - they like to have really loud sex, which is disgusting to listen to. The one night, my boyfriend had had enough, when they were going at it. He called the cops, this of course pissed them off and only made the...

Can I stay living in my apartment if I don't resign my lease? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building and my lease is up on may 31, I needed to give notification in writing if I was not going to resign my lease, I did not do this nor did I resign my lease. Can I still stay living in my apartment?

No lease no deposit living in apartment [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I recently moved into an apartment in Long Beach Ca. The realtor gave me the keys to the apartment and agreed to come sign the lease the next day. The problem is he never showed up. And I keep calling him and he keeps telling me he's coming but never showes. I'ts been almost a month and I...

How do I evict a family member that is living in my apartment [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking for my nephew who is having problems with his mother who lives in his apartment with him, his fiancé and their 1 year old daughter. He lives in Linden, NJ. He told his mom when they moved in that if she reverted back to using drugs (she was a recovering addict) that she would have to...

View more questions Search