Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Really? Where in the constitution is there a right to foodstamps, subsidized housing and welfare? I had that in Civics and I was really good in that class....
    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    then you will find it further complicated to know that it has nothing to do with income.
    More income, more choices, not just with the food, but where you live, and the schools you go to. CHOICES, and more options. Just ask the CEO of Google. Income matters, so doe education.

Poverty is the underlying factor in all our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Maybe if we spent more time teaching kids to cook and less time teaching comprehensive sex ed they might eat healthier.
    How about more of BOTH? Why sacrifice one for another?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

More income, more choices, not just with the food, but where you live, and the schools you go to. CHOICES, and more options. Just ask the CEO of google. Income matters, so doe education.

I think its time you open up a dictionary and take a read.. after you blow the dust off...

Because contrary to what you might think... provide the general welfare does NOT mean free handouts to the welfare bums... in fact welfare didn't even exist until well into the 1900's.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Americans shouldn't starve is a function of government for whatever reason, be it droughts, or famine, wars, storms, or corporate malfeasance.

Funny how you think a right to own a gun is more important than a right for food clothing and shelter. What do you have against men and women with kids and nomoney, since most single able bodied people with no kids have very little food stamps given to them
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    Then you will find it further complicated to know that it has nothing to do with income.

More income, more choices, not just with the food, but where you live, and the schools you go to. CHOICES, and more options. Just ask the CEO of Google. Income matters, so doe education.

then why are there so many obese middle income ? Your rhetoric flies in the face of the facts.
    There is very little difference in obesity rates due to socio-economics .
    Rich-Poor Gap Narrowing in Obesity
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:26 AM

Poverty is the underlying factor in all our lives
    Every time we try to give them choices in schools your side throws a fit... usually some black leader obstructing choice for poor black kids. But you can't say that without it being racist or something.

Teaching them to cook is more useful and less ideological.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:36 AM
    Americans shouldn't starve is a function of government for whatever reason, be it droughts, or famine, wars, storms, or corporate malfeasance.

Funny how you think a right to own a gun is more important than a right for food clothing and shelter. What do you have against men and women with kids and nomoney, since most single able bodied people with no kids have very little food stamps given to them
    How many of them own a car... at LEAST one TV.. cable TV, internet, a microwave... an a compouter and one or more cell phone? How many of them have a pair of athletic shoes that cost well over $100 or a Jacket that did?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Where will they grocery shop?
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Evidently not at Walmart,
    John Tamny: Wal-Mart ban hurts Big Apple to the core | wal, businesses, mart - Opinion - The Orange County Register
    They instead have to shop in the more expensive neighborhood bodega
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Where will they grocery shop?
    I tried to get ex to open a market in the hood but he won't do it without subsidies. But who would?
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
    I tried to get ex to open a market in the hood but he won't do it without subsidies. But who would?
    Walmart would if they were permitted to do so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:47 AM
    Walmart patooey!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
    Yes they had plans to open stores in some of those "food deserts" but I don't know how many have been blocked by the locals.

What would solve the problem is that $22 per hour minimum wage.

Elizabeth Warren Asks: Why isn't the Minimum Wage $22 an Hour?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Yes they had plans to open stores in some of those "food deserts" but I don't know how many have been blocked by the locals.

What would solve the problem is that $22 per hour minimum wage.

Elizabeth Warren Asks: Why isn't the Minimum Wage $22 an Hour?
    They would be complaining about $6 tomatoes and $12 a gallon milk then... if the minimum wage went up... they don't grasp the prices of everything will have to go up to pay for it... then we are back at square one again...

But they don't grasp that because so few of these people learned much in school... other than how to roll a joint. And use saran wrap for a condom.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
    I hope a lot. There are much better ways to go than Walmart.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I hope a lot. There are much better ways to go than Walmart.
    Such as? You're opposed to people spending less on groceries? Perhaps if their had been a Walmart near Georgetown Law School Sandra Fluke might have gotten her pills for $4 instead of making us pay for them.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Yeah but the day of the small grocery owner being able to pay NY rents and still be price competitive are long gone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
    yeah but the day of the small grocery owner being able to pay NY rents and still be price competitive are long gone.
    It doesn't have to be a small grocery store owner. It can be a major chain such as Wegman's or Shoprite or Dominick's. In Chicago, public land is being turned into neighborhood gardens, and police are being "undesked" and assigned to low-income neighborhoods so residents feel free to venture out..
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Wegmans isn't a Cheap store... the other two aren't in my area nor do I know them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
    Hello smoothy:

Really? Where in the constitution is there a right to foodstamps, subsidized housing and welfare?
    The same place the oil depletion allowance is, the Wall Street bailouts are, and subsidies to the MASSIVE food industry...

Excon
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello smoothy:

The same place the oil depletion allowance is, the Wall Street bailouts are, and subsidies to the MASSIVE food industry...

excon
    You mean right next to the part where we HAVE to spend BIllions to send our best Military weaopns to known Terrorists in Egypt.. The Muslim Brotherhood?

Incidentally your average family farmer doesn't get rich even with subsidies. In fact they rarely make enough on a good year to cover their losses on a bad year. That's why fewer and fewer of them remain every year. Many of my childhood friends and relatives were farmers... I have an adult friend who gave it upa couple years ago because there isn't enough money in it to make a living on. He leases out the property for others to farm each year. He makes more money that way..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I changed her food and she poops 3x the amount could this be due to the new food? [ 6 Answers ]

I changed my dogs food and she seems to be pooping three times the amount that she use too. She use to go 2 maybe 3 times a day now she goes like 8 times a day. Could this be due to the new food?

Why Fast food restaurants Have signs saying their food might cause Cancer? [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a sign outside jackn the box, saying that their foods are cooked in something that creates their food to have posibliity of causing cancer. My question is... if that's a risk to consumers, then why even make the food that way? Can't they cook it in a healthier form? And doesn't the FDA...

Star Wars: The Clone Wars [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here a S.W, fan?

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search