Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:29 AM
    Call me a skeptic.Naturally occurring methane seepage is a common occurrence.I bet there is more methane in areas around your local landfill than all that gets released from fracking.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    call me a skeptic.Naturally occuring methane seepage is a common occurance.I bet there is more methane in areas around your local landfill than all that gets released from fracking.
    Or from your average Vegetarians house.. or restaurant. The side effects of beans and lentils.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Or from your average Vegetarians house..or restaurant. The side effects of beans and lentils.
    Hmmm, I grew up in dairyfarm country. I could be dead already from inhaling!

If only the frackers would restore the land once they finished...
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Hmmm, I grew up in dairyfarm country. I could be dead already from inhaling!

If only the frackers would restore the land once they finished....
    YOU might be thinking strip mines... frackers don't make that much of a mess... and I've seen a LOT of gas wells being drilled... including one rather spectacular fire.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Much better to have windmills where Golden and Bald Eagles get wacked .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    YOU might be thinking strip mines....frackers don't make that much of a mess.....and I've seen a LOT of gas wells being drilled....including one rather spectacular fire.
    Do they disassemble all the rigging and towers and other equipment they used once they are finished, and then leave the land looking as pristine as when they arrived?
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do they disassemble all the rigging and towers and other equipment they used once they are finished, and then leave the land looking as pristine as when they arrived?
    Gas wells typically don't take up much more space than the average one car garage once they are in service. The pipes are buried. Those towers are only in place for drilling and moved on to the next drill site once the drilling if done.

There are dozens of them within sight of the road up where I'me from within just a few miles (Pennsylvania). And I know a few people that have wells on their property. Which they are paid monthly for.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 10:03 AM
    There is some equipment and site management:
    https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...m8&safe=active
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
    This is a Scientific American report of an MIT study on the issue:

So what is the truth?

Can drilling for natural gas contaminate drinking water? Yes.

Is hydraulic fracturing to blame? No.

Bottom line: water contamination does happen, but not because of hydraulic fracturing. The MIT Future of Natural Gas Study, released in June 2011, examines the causes of 43 reported environmental incidents and finds that, “no incidents of direct invasion of shallow water zones by fracture fluids during the fracturing process have been recorded.”

So what causes the contamination? According to the study, “almost 50% [of the incidents were] the result of drilling operations… most frequently related to inadequate cementing of casing into wellbores.”
    Guest Post: Water Contamination – Fracking is not the problem | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Back to the food wars thing, seems more and more communities are pushing back against the government standing between you from and good, fresh local food.

Brooksville becomes ninth Maine town to defy state on sales of local foods

BROOKSVILLE, Maine — Voters here made their town the fifth in Hancock County to pass a local food sovereignty ordinance that thumbs its nose at state and federal regulations for direct-to-consumer sales of prepared foods and farm products.

In a referendum election on March 4, residents voted 112-64 to approve the “Local Food and Community Self-Governance Ordinance,” which states that producers or processors of local foods are “exempt from licensure and inspection,” so long as the food is sold directly by the producer to a consumer.

The ordinance also makes it “unlawful for any law or regulation adopted by the state or federal government to interfere with the rights organized by this ordinance.”

The state contends that such ordinances hold no legal weight, but that hasn’t stopped residents of Sedgwick, Penobscot, Blue Hill and Trenton from passing the same local rules. Food sovereignty ordinances also have been passed in Hope, Plymouth, Livermore and Appleton.

In an interview, Kaylene Waindle, special assistant to the attorney general, said the state has a legitimate and legal interest in overseeing the safety of food being sold to consumers, and that state laws about food safety, inspection and licensing pre-empt local ordinances.

Much like individual states passing marijuana laws that fly in the face of the federal government’s stance on cannabis, the dispute over who controls local food regulation seems destined for court.
    Before you even say it, I am a huge fan of food safety. I'm also a huge fan of roadside peaches, fresh tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc. Do we really need to have the government come between us and our neighbors to get some healthy, fresh food?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Back in the day, my first stop before going to work was at a small grocer who made sandwiches and sold fresh fruit, and had hot coffee. Those were good days.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Sounds nice.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2013, 07:02 PM
    You living in the past Tal, now if maccas don't sell it it ain't breakfast

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I changed her food and she poops 3x the amount could this be due to the new food? [ 6 Answers ]

I changed my dogs food and she seems to be pooping three times the amount that she use too. She use to go 2 maybe 3 times a day now she goes like 8 times a day. Could this be due to the new food?

Why Fast food restaurants Have signs saying their food might cause Cancer? [ 2 Answers ]

I saw a sign outside jackn the box, saying that their foods are cooked in something that creates their food to have posibliity of causing cancer. My question is... if that's a risk to consumers, then why even make the food that way? Can't they cook it in a healthier form? And doesn't the FDA...

Star Wars: The Clone Wars [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here a S.W, fan?

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search