Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iintensive Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Boot.ini erased
    Hi,

It happened I erased boot.ini file on my laptop. What can be done to restore it? I can't boot my computer so I need tool that can boot itself and restore.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Hope this helps!

To resolve this issue, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, start the Recovery Console, and then use the Bootcfg.exe tool to rebuild the Boot.ini file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive - set this in bios.
    2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
    3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    5. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    6. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:
    a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
    Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
    c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.
    tim berry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 04:02 AM
    I would also recommend you Active@ undelete tool. Its last version can boot itself from disk and restore, so it would be no problem to recover your file
    Active@ UNDELETE Data Recovery Software. Recover Deleted Files. Windows XP VISTA 2003 NTFS FAT32 FAT.
    iintensive Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Well, the main problem for me was I had no windows disk for laptop. Actually I had one that restores OS but formats drive as well. Active undelete however was really able to boot itself once I created its disk and then brought file back. Thank you very much for your support!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

How does the destop.ini work? [ 2 Answers ]

The destop.ini is created by window and appear invisible in each drive, It's often created by viruses too. Then how does it work and how is it invisible in the drive (Even you turned on view hidden files and folders in Folder option)?

View more questions Search