Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockamur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 02:35 PM
    Electrical Service Upgrade w/ second panel vs larger single panel
    Bought a house recently that had the fuse box replaced with a panel that appears to be rated at 60 amps. Was planning to remodel the kitchen and add heat lamps to the baths, and as a result I need to upgrade to a higher amp service. An electrician looked at things and said he would have to update the panel and a lot of wiring to the tune of $ 4500-5000.00 which is not in the budget. As a work-around for replacing the existing panel & wiring, I'm thinking I could add a 2-circuit disconnect after the meter, and use one circuit to feed the existing panel in the basement, and use the second circuit to feed a new panel that would be located in a storage area next to the kitchen. This approach would save money and allow me to address the somewhat overloaded existing panel (ie electric stove, clothes dryer, central air and lights & outlets on a 60 amp service) and shorten the new cabling lines by putting the new panel by the kitchen.
    Is there any problem(s) or issues in using this approach?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 16, 2013, 03:23 PM
    I do not know what your zoning laws require in your location but 60 amp service has not been code for years. Many years. 100 amp service was the norm for years but since the late 70's, here in NY, 200 amp service has always been required.
    A complete upgrade to 200 amp service would actually be your best investment . $5 or $6 thousand dollars is not out of line and you should never have problems of not having enough service available. Personally, if it were me, I would opt for new service at 200 amps. Should you ever decide to sell the home, it is a selling point.

BY just adding a sub panel, you are not decreasing your demand. You would have the same overload on the same 60 amp service. I wonder,, the electrician was not able to determine whether it was 60 or 100 amp service. Hmmmmm.
    Rockamur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    I do not know what your zoning laws require in your location but 60 amp service has not been code for years. Many years. 100 amp service was the norm for years but since the late 70's, here in NY, 200 amp service has always been required.
    A complete upgrade to 200 amp service would actually be your best investment . $5 or $6 thousand dollars is not out of line and you should never have problems of not having enough service available. Personally, if it were me, I would opt for new service at 200 amps. Should you ever decide to sell the home, it is a selling point.

BY just adding a sub panel, you are not decreasing your demand. You would have the same overload on the same 60 amp service. I wonder,,,,the electrician was not able to determine whether it was 60 or 100 amp service. Hmmmmm.
    Update:
    House was built in late 50's. Appears that panel has no main disconnect, but a 60 amp dbl-pole cb is installed in with the other cb's and labeled as main breaker. The approach would be to move some of the load on the existing 60 amp panel, to the second, separate 60 or 100 amp panel, fed from the new 2-cb disconnect added between the meter and the 2-panels.

I know upgrading to a new single panel w/ new wiring would be ideal, but the cost appears to be significantly higher than I believe this approach would be; the question is in regard to safety / functionality, as well as price
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 16, 2013, 06:33 PM
    You still only have 60 amps. It is not enough service for the additions you plan. You would only be distributing the 60 amps over two service boxes. You will not gain anything and won't be a safer alternative. Sorry I can't offer any other advice but the facts.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 16, 2013, 08:50 PM
    I'm surprised that you obtained home owners insurance with your electrical service. I know of RE sales where the financing is contingent on upgrading. Get a couple of bids. Just an upgrade of your service with a new panel (and not all the new stuff like heat lamps) in my area would be substantially less.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2013, 06:21 AM
    The minimum size of a Dwelling electrical service is 100 ampere in accordance with the National Electrical Code which has been adopted by the State of New York.

Definitely get at "least" three proposals and prices...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have a murry panel LC2040B1100CU 100amps. Can I just change the main breakers to 200amps

AFCI's and Service Panel Upgrade [ 18 Answers ]

I just had the electrician by today to give an estimate for a service panel upgrade from our 100a fuse service panel to a 200a service panel. I felt he was competent and knew what he was talking about. He did raise a concern that I would like to get advice on. He mentioned that inspectors have...

Service Panel Upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a permit and authorization to upgrade to a 200 Amp Service Panel. There may be a need to extend the house wires in the service panel to reach the new breakers. What is a approved connection/connector to extend existing black wiers in the panel?

Service panel upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1200 sf 1958 Florida home with an older fuse panel located inside a bedroom closet, serving the entire home, including the kitchen oven, range, water heater, etc. I also have a circuit breaker equipted panel, located outside the home, immediately beside the meter, serviing the AC unit, Air...

Service panel upgrade [ 2 Answers ]

What is entailed in changing the service box from 100 amp service to 150 or 200 amp service. Can a layman do this on his own?

View more questions Search