Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tx nurse Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Harassed by ex employer- nursing
    I quit my job 3 weeks ago, they are holding my last paycheck, and threatened legal action against me regarding the No Solicitation of Patients Agreement that I signed, saying that I'm soliciting patients. I've not solicited any patients, and I've turned in all my equipment. All my notes are turned in. At what point do I have a legal leg to stand on, for them to stop contacting me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
    What is their proof that you did solicit, and what were you supposed to be soliciting for? If you are an RN this is serious if you signed a specific agreement.

Why don't we start with more information.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2013, 12:38 PM
    The minute you quit, did you cease all communication with any and all patients?
    'No solicitation' can be broadly interpreted if you complained to anyone, because that means you trashed the reputation of the employer, thereby implying that the patient should get care elsewhere, even if you didn't specifically say anything about you.

Mar 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    What is their proof that you did solicit, and what were you supposed to be soliciting for? If you are an RN this is serious if you signed a specific agreement.

Why don't we start with more information.
    I am an LPN, and they don't have proof- because there isn't anything. They are withholding my last paycheck, and being a single mom- the check is a significant amount. They threatened me in person, and sent me a letter instead of a paycheck. And honestly- if they would pay me, I don't care if they send a letter everyday. I don't want a lot of drama from them- just my last pay

Mar 16, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The minute you quit, did you cease all communication with any and all patients?
    'No solicitation' can be broadly interpreted if you complained to anyone, because that means you trashed the reputation of the employer, thereby implying that the patient should get care elsewhere, even if you didn't specifically say anything about you.
    No. I haven't talked to any patients. A pt contacted me, I immediately referred them to the main office number
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Then I would suggest that you go to the state licensing board, the Dept of Labor, and the state AGs office of Consumer Protection (although that last one might not help, since it's mainly for products). Perhaps a large law firm that has some pro bono hours. You can't go to a lot of free law clinics unless you are the defendant, so places like the ACLU are probably out.
    What do you think the basis of all this is? Spite and anger about why you quit? How big an employer are they?

Mar 16, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Then I would suggest that you go to the state licensing board, the Dept of Labor, and the state AGs office of Consumer Protection (although that last one might not help, since it's mainly for products). Perhaps a large law firm that has some pro bono hours. You can't go to a lot of free law clinics unless you are the defendant, so places like the ACLU are probably out.
    What do you think the basis of all this is? Spite and anger about why you quit? How big an employer are they?
    I'm not quite sure what the basis is- its not a big company. They do have a high turnover with nurses, and when I left- I just wanted (and still want) to be done. Like I said, all my stuff is turned in. It should be a cut and dry situation, but when someone owes me $1000, it's difficult not knowing if they are going to pay me
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
    The basis is failure to pay you for hours worked - I'm not even sure they can withhold your salary if you DID take patients with you (and I realize you did not).

Call Wage and Hour (or whatever it's called in Texas) and ask.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2013, 04:02 AM
    In most states, they cannot withhold a final paycheck beyond the regular payday. So you go to the Dept of Labor and tell them and ask how you get your final pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Develop a nursing care plan for this patient identifying 8 nursing diagnoses [ 1 Answers ]

Mr.Tom is an 81 yr. old man who has been admitted to the ward earlier in the day from home.he is in an unconscious state having suffered a stroke which has affected his right side. He is breathing spontaneously, lying on his left side and he is receiving O2 via a simple mask at 5L/min. he has an IV...

I am on skilled care in a nursing home do I have to pay them my srs nursing home [ 0 Answers ]

I am in a nursing home under medicare and medicaid. I came back from the hospital and received skill care for 90 days. Do I still have to pay my monthly payments to the nursing home on top of my medicare and medicaid payments?

Risk for going to a nursing home.. And I need a nursing diagnosis. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing my assessment on my patient. It is broken up into sections and in the discharge planning section I am stuck on what to put. She is 62 and has had 2 strokes and her family is starting to struggle to take care of her. Her husband said that he fears a nursing home is in her near future....

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

View more questions Search