Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Again, I respectfully disagree. A person can use self-defense as a defense, but a prosecutor can choose not to accept it and leave it up to a judge or jury to determine. That's why the law uses that specific language (and interpretation of the law is frequently about hair-splitting). Why not just say that a person is not guilty of statutory rape if the one party is less than 5 years older than the other? There is a reason why the law (and the KY statute is typical of states with close in age exceptions) using that specific wording. It gives the prosecutor an out to decline to prosecute and it gives the defendant a viable defense to mount IF prosecuted. It does not mean the person is not guilty of the crime or that they can't be prosecuted for it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 16, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... It does not mean the person is not guilty of the crime ...
    Actually, that's exactly what it means. Due process requires that crimes be spelled out in statute. It is not permitted to leave the definition of a crime up to a judge or jury.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... That's why the law uses that specific language (and interpretation of the law is frequently about hair-splitting). Why not just say that a person is not guilty of statutory rape if the one party is less than 5 years older than the other? ..
    If the exception applies (I haven't gone through the Kentucky statutes previously posted with a fine-tooth comb, but it looks like it does), no prosecutor will prosecute, and if an insane one decided to, no judge would let it go to trial. Unlike self-defense, a close-in-age defense contains no maybes which would even allow it to go to a jury. What ages the "perpetrator" and "victim" are is easily provable.

Don't ask me why the legislature chose to write it they way they did. It may be language which was written when Lincoln was a boy, in the same state where a good education was not generally available, for all I know. Even now, incoherent legislation is written all the time, and as we know from current events, often enacted without any legislators even reading it. The bottom line is that it says what it says, and is not necessarily written the way you or I would have written it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
    We'll just have to agree to disagree here. This is a matter of interpretation of the law its not as black and white as other matters of law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my girlfriend pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I had under gone a intercourse with my girl friend before a month without any protection... before the ejaculation of sperm we stopped the sex and ejected to floor... but she didn't get her periods... so to get back her periods she took mensovit plus just before a week till now she didn't get her...

Ex girlfriend and pregnant girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Right... I have a girlfriend that I've been with not long. Right however I am in contact with my ex again after not talking for a yr. We broke up because she didn't trust me, so I moved on and basically jumped into another relationship. I don't know what I should do because I still love my ex,...

Ex Girlfriend or Pregnant Girlfriend [ 10 Answers ]

I had been seeing my partner for 8 years and have had a fantastic relationship. We had a really good lifestyle and I genuinely feel like she was my soulmate and true love. Trouble is I didn't know it. I hit 40 and had what I now see as a mid life crisis. I split with my girlfriend in November,...

16 yr old Girlfriend pregnant, help [ 12 Answers ]

My ex girl friend says she thinks she's pregnant. She has yet to hear from the doctor as to whether she truly is pregnant, but regardless she told me that she wants to keep me out of her decision as to what she will do if she is pregnant. I told her I wanted to help, but she doesn't want help from...

Is my girlfriend pregnant? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I'm raul:) yesterday 3-10-08 my girlfriend came over to mi house and we fooled around for a while after that we decided to have sex but I didn't use a condom I know I should have but I didn't really cared at the moment and my girlfriend didn't seem to mind so we did it today 3-11-08 my...

View more questions Search