Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluedagat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2013, 01:33 PM
    form 8938
    I'm completing form 8938. I have stock in a foreign company worth more than the threshold. I hold it singly, but my husband and I file jointly. I also have a foreign checking account (im a dual citizen) which had a maximum of $10,500 in 2012. I filed an FBAR for my checking account last year, and an 8938 for my financial assets. I did not report my checking account in the 8938. Questions:

Should I do that this year?
    I sold a portion of shares this year so the number of shares fluctuated. I am assuming I am reporting the stock holding at the beginning of the year. How do I determine maximum value of asset? Do I just multiply # of stocks at beginning of the year times the highest share price in the year or do I use the highest share price I sold stock for?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Yes, report the checking account on the Form 8938.

Determine the highest value of the stock accounting 2012 in your home currency, then convert it using the conversion factor on 31 December 2012.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8938 questions [ 8 Answers ]

T looks like I have to fix Form 8938 (foreign assets) for 2012. It seems like every account held at an institution needs to be reported separately. I have a number of small (sometimes 0) accounts. 1) Can all the accounts held at one institution be aggregated together to produce just one entry...

IRS Form 8938 [ 1 Answers ]

We're married living abroad for 10 years and file a joint income tax return. I have only bank accounts (Cetificate of Deposits). Since I don't know the IRS conversion rate for 2012, my foreign invest can be less or more than $400,000 when withdraw. I understand we have to file form 8938 if we...

Do I need to file Form 8938? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I am physically present in a foreign country for the entire 12 month (Jan. 1st, 2011 - Dec, 31, 2011) and still to date. I am married filling jointly Forms 1040 and F2555 and 540NR and CA (540NR). Do I need to file form 8938 if our foreign fanacial assets are bbetween $10,000 and...

How to fill form 8938 [ 2 Answers ]

Dear, Just to clarify what I meant by assets is a checking account with a balance of somewhere between $10k and $100k. Do we still need to fill form 8938? Regards,

Do I need to file Form 8938? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I have questions regarding the 8938 and would appreciate very much if you could answer my questions. 1. I am a canadian and moved in USA 3 few years ago. But my family continued to live in Canada last month; 2. We bought a house in Canada about 10 years ago and we lived...

View more questions Search