Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadbrad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
    What is a flexible whip or nm cable
    Installing new light over sink. Has direct connection, but also has switch on light. Will not work . What is a flexible whip or nm cable
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
    Flexible whip is a sheath with wires in it, usually metal sheath but some are not and for light leads, it uses twist wire rather than solid. You will find it on can and drop in fluorescent lights. NM is Non Metallic, commonly known as Romex. 2 or more wires plus a ground in a plastic sleeve. It is not very flexible. How was the old light wired? You may have a switch loop, what color wires on the switch?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
    You question does not make any sense. Are you asking about the light switch nor the cable?

NM cable is a "Non Matalic" cable. The easiest way to describe this cable is to say that outside sheath of the cable is made of a soft compound which offers little protection to the conductors inside of it.

A flexable whip, however, does have a metal outside sheath and generally comes in 6' or 8' lengths.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Songs with words( whip it) [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe 20 30 years ago more disoish

How long does flexible adhesive take to dry for ceramic tiles on a flexible floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have laid ceramic tiles on a flexible floor using the appropriate adhesive. Professionally laid (apparently) My question is, how long should I let set/dry before moving large heavy items such as dishwasher/washer back on to the tiles?

Electrical whip? [ 14 Answers ]

Greetings, I am connecting an electric heater in my garage that requires #6 gauge wire on a 60 amp double pole breaker. I want to use a whip from the disconnect to the heater, which is a distance of about 4 ft simply for the flexibility. My problem is that I can't find a 6 gauge whip. Are these...

Whip Lash? [ 1 Answers ]

Can whip lash be seriouse/ Should I got get it looked at if I have whip lash?

View more questions Search