Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fester789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 02:56 PM
    On my balance sheet, it shows suta/futa as a negative balance?
    We've paid about $12,000 in unemployment taxes since 2008; currently the balance sheet shows a negative balance for suta/futa payables in liabilities; am I coding the unemployment taxes correctly?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Mar 15, 2013, 07:53 AM
    Hard to diagnose with any accuracy from a distance, as there are myriad possibilities for it.

But very generally, the fact that you maintain a liabilities account suggests that you're using a system whereby you credit this account for the unemp tax liabilities as they arise (say, your payroll service gives you a report following each pay period, showing how much in tax to accrue?), and then you debit this account for any subsequent checks written to the gov't. It's a common way of doing it.

If so, then a debit (negative) bal can arise in this balance sheet account if either
    • payments for other types of taxes have been erroneously posted there; or
    • you failed to accrue (credit) enough unemp tax to this account, somewhere in the past.

Just a couple of possibilities which jump to mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned rental income shows under which section of Balance sheet? [ 2 Answers ]

Unearned rental income shows under which section of Balance sheet

Capital for Owner that shows on Balance sheet [ 1 Answers ]

All I am trying to find out is if I did this right. The following information is taken from the work sheet for Wayman Company as of December 31, 2005. Using this information, determine the amount for K. Wayman, Capital, that should be reported on its December 31,2005, balance sheet. ...

SUTA payable & Balance Sheet [ 1 Answers ]

We utilize Peachtree accounting. Semi-Monthly we receive a notification from our payroll service that an electronic withdrawal from our bank account will occur for payment of unemployment tax. When we receive the notification, a bill is entered into the accounting system which Debits SUTA...

View more questions Search