Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gatesofshelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 07:50 AM
    My promotion might result in my unemployment. Help!
    I work as an Office Assistant at a church. When I took this position it was a step down from any position, I'd had in years but I figured it would be an easy 9-5 and allow me a stable income and enough free time to focus on developing my business.

I love what I do and as with most Non for Profit organizations, I began to take on more and more in terms of web/graphic design, project and volunteer management and really doing the work to develop some of the outreach programs. Members noticed and I am constantly lauded for the quality of work.

I approached my boss about 6 months ago about changing my title to reflect what it is that I actually do. We bounced ideas around and he agreed that he would do a Memo of Understanding in the upcoming weeks. He then approached me and told me that instead of the new title, he wanted to promote me to a position that was even greater than that. He gave me the new salary range and even announced it internally at staff meetings and in front of volunteers. I was supposed to start in January, then he said June, then he came back and said March after my 2 year anniversary since I would be getting a merit increase at that time. Then about February, I was told that the position would have to be posted and that I would need to interview for the position like everyone else. There are no bylaws or rules within the organization stating that this is standard practice. I understand the organization wanting to seem transparent but this was a promotion into a new position within the organization. I'm not some person off the streets. I've proven that I can handle the role.
    In addition, I have already began the transition into the new position and developing the frame work for it so all the leg work has been done.

They have posted my current position and began the interview process but have yet to post the opening for the new position. So they will ultimately have me train my replacement before the new position is even mine. I am also angry and afraid. What if I don't get the new position? I know they don't have it in the budget to pay 3 salaries for a job that I (1 person) was doing. I am also embarrassed because something that was presented as a promotion could potentially result in me not having a job.

What should I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2013, 08:07 AM
    Having to interview for a internal position at an employer is actually very common and is considered normal practice.

As far as could this end up costing you your job? Unless you have a written labor contract... the answer is possibly because you would be an At-Will employee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get unemployment if I had unemployment then got a 1099 and then lost my job? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can still get unemployment if I used to have and it got extended but I started working as a sub contractor and then lost my job. May I go back and still collect that unemployment? Thanks...

Promotion [ 1 Answers ]

I receved a new job promotion after three years on my job.. I make 9.50 per hour for 40 hrs a week.. when I receved my promotion I was supposed to get a 50.cent raise.. my manger is acting like he doesn't want to pay us.. for two week now I haven't seen my 50 cent raise on my last two checked.. is...

Promotion [ 3 Answers ]

When am I going get the promotion

When I click on a search result it won't go to that result [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I type in a search and get the results when I click on a result it will take me to a different site. The same happens sometimes in my address bar. Please help.

Asking for Promotion [ 2 Answers ]

I have worked in one position for ten years and I feel that I need to move on to the top. How can I write a convincing letter to my boss to get that?

View more questions Search