Ask
    1510 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
    S trap
    What is s trap?
    Fish4Fun2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
    An "S Trap" ==> A Primer on "S" Traps | Structure Tech Home Inspections

More importantly, the function of an "S Trap" is to prevent sewage gasses from entering your home via your plumbing. S traps, in conjunction with vents are an absolutely critical part of any indoor plumbing system. If you are installing a new fixture, absolutely make certain to incorporate both an s trap and make certain that it is properly vented.

Fish
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Your information is close, fish4fun2, but you are wrong about STRAPS. In fact, if you read the first sentence at the link you posted it will confirm what I present!

Straps are illegal and have been for decades now! Straps were used decades ago when plumbers didn't individually vent fixtures and simply went down from the plumbing fixture through the floor and connected into the plumbing system. The Strap did keep sewer gasses from escaping the drain, but over time it was determined that these types of traps were easily siphoned and did NOT do the job they were designed for. It was then that plumbing engineers designed the current plumbing principles and required that all plumbing fixtures get a PTRAP and an individual vent. The exception to this rule is when one or more fixtures can be WET VENTED by another fixtures vent, but that is getting off topic here!

Anyway, if 1510 needs more info. just let us know, OK?

Mark
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Mar 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
    Depending on your code, but in Ohio S traps are illegal with no exceptions for the reason Mark stated.

Mar 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
    massplumber2008,

Obviously you are 100% correct. I never noticed the difference between a "P-Trap" and an "S-Trap". I am quite dyslexic and it took me several minutes looking back and forth between S-Trap pictures and P-Trap pictures to finally "get the difference". I always assumed they were synonyms and responded with a picture link I (obviously) didn't read. Thanks for pointing out my mistake; I learned something today :-)

Fish
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
    I don't mean to be an a$$ Fish4Fun2, but if you don't know the difference between an s trap and a p trap, why exactly are you answering questions on a plumbing forum? We have licensed plumbers, and many other extremely knowledgeable people when it comes to plumbing. I suspect you have a bit of knowledge when it comes to plumbing too, but please don't answer if you are not 99.9 percent sure of your advice. Not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to keep the answers here as accurate as possible. Take care. Lee.

Mar 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
    I don't mean to be an a$$ Fish4Fun2
    Really? But I will a$$ume the fault is mine because I failed to properly apologize in my previous post. I will rectify that now:

I am very sorry for improperly answering a forum post. I am obviously not a plumber, licensed or otherwise, and I had no business responding to the OP's post. I will in the future make 100% certain that I do not improperly respond to posts anywhere on this forum.

Regrettably I am actually glad that I made the post (and the mistake) because I learned something rather subtle (at least from my perspective) today, and that makes today a good day. I am sorry that my learning experience bothered you, I truly am, it was certainly not my intent.

Fish
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2013, 09:16 PM
    Let's keep it simple Fish. All coders mandate. " If it has a trap it must be vented.""" "S" traps have no vents. End of story! Case closed! Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old drum trap removed. New j trap will not fit same space. Idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Had leak at base of tub drain extension. Cracked at elbow which then had another straight piece to a 2nd elbow that went into bottom of an old drum trap(circa 1940's) . Drum trap then emptied out top into what appears to be a 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe. That pipe angles over into main cast iron drain...

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search