Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thezerb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Leaking hot water heater drain valve after new brass valve installed
    I had a leaking (plastic) drain valve on my GE hot water heater. It was leaking from the inside of the valve. The small rubber washer was crimped.

I installed a new brass drain valve that I purchased from home depot using teflon tape. The valve now leaks from the threads of the tank/valve. I removed it again and used plumbers puddy and it still leaks. I tried to tighten the valve more to stop the leak without success. I even tried a second brass drain valve without success.

I do not see any obvious deformation or rust on the tank threads. I also have not stripped the threads or crossed them at all.

Here are my questions:

What could be the problem? Does the tank only accept plastic drain valves? How tight can I tighten the valve onto the tank? The local hardware store suggested a last resort epoxy on the threads of the new drain valve; but, that would be a permanent install.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2013, 07:15 AM
    Does the tank only accept plastic drain valves?
    No! The threads should accept all boiler drains,
    How tight can I tighten the valve onto the tank?
    As tight as it will go with the boiler drain in position and looking down.
    The local hardware store suggested a last resort epoxy on the threads of the new drain valve; but, that would be a permanent install.
    If it's between that and replacing the tank what choice do you have? My opinion is that you cross threaded the connection. Wrap 3 o 5 rounds of Teflon Tape and coat it with Epoxy, Good luck. Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
    I agree with Tom. Do a few extra wraps of teflon and maybe even coat it with a little pipe dope (rector seal) on top of the tape, and tighten it up until you just can't tighten it any more. Plumbers putty is not to be use for this type of connection, so if you did really use plumbers putty, that would explain part of the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater leaking from drain valve [ 4 Answers ]

Hi There, My gas water heater developed a leak but it is coming through the discharge valve towards the bottom of the tank. This is the valve where I hook up the hose to flush the tank... Does this mean that the tank is breaking? I opened the valve an tried to flush it but the leak won't stop...

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

Valve on hot water heater leaking [ 1 Answers ]

The side valve on my waterheater is leaking. A plumber came to the house today and said we need a new water heater and it would cost $800 which includes installation. I'm hesitant. This is the first time this happened, however, we've had the heater over 13 years. I think the valve just needs...

Leaking drain valve on water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a slow drip on the drain valve on my water heater. We've flushed the water heater about a month ago, but now we have a very slow drip from the drain valve. It's dripping at a rate of about 2 cups a week, no matter how tightly we turn the knob on the valve. Any ideas?

View more questions Search