Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tic1tac2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Family Member Eviction
    Hello all. I have POA for my grandfathers affairs. I also have taken over ownership and the mortgage for his home which all my siblings grew up in. My younger brother has lived in the home for quite some time, but has never paid rent or any utilities, just taking care of our grandfather. He has always been a abuser of drugs and alcohol. There have been the usual family problems, so I have told him he has to leave because he now has to pay me rent. I want him gone and have given him a 1 week notice. Am I within my legal rights to make him leave or is this court issue. I live in Maryland. If more info is needed please advise.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tic1tac2
    Hello all. I have POA for my grandfathers affairs. I also have taken over ownership and the mortgage for his home.......... Am I within my legal rights to make him leave or is this court issue.
    Hello tic.

When the law peeks into a home, it sees four categories of people: 1) owners, 2) renters, 3) houseguests, and 4) trespassers. Looks to me like he's number #4 (unless he's paid rent).

Since you have the authority to act for the owner, you may put him out and change the locks. You might even let your local cops know that you're going to be doing this and when. If you think there's going to be trouble, ask them to be there.

You might inform your brother of your intentions, and ask him to move before he's put out. Or, you might not.

excon

PS> I am curious about your use of the phrase “I have taken over ownership and the mortgage….”. If what you mean is that you are making payments on your grandfathers mortgage with his money, that's cool. Anything else, isn't cool, and it could effect your brother's defense. What do you mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Member Eviction [ 6 Answers ]

How Do You Go About Evicting A Family Member Who Has Never Paid Rent, And Does Not Want To Leave In The State Of Florida?

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

Evict family member. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you direct me in how to evict an addicted family member from my apartment. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Thank you

Eviction of a family member [ 3 Answers ]

My sister has her granddaughter living in her home rent free. She has three children and wants all of them to vacant her home. Since she is not paying rent, she cannot be legally evicted. What other course of action can she take.

Family member eviction in Texas [ 3 Answers ]

How does one go about evicting an adult family member (with dependents)?

View more questions Search