Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ozzzii Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Cod liver oil while breast feeding
    Hi can I have cod liver oil, 1 tablet 300 mg, to increase my breast feed, and is it safe for my baby... Coz I heard it inc feed and reduces boby unnecessary fat...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 05:10 PM
    From what I've read, they've deemed it "likely safe" to take cod liver oil while nursing. What "likely safe" means, is that they haven't done enough research to really know for sure if it is safe, they just assume it is. So really, it's up to you.

Coz I heard it inc feed n reduces boby unnecessary fat...
    This part of your post I can't understand. Please write using complete words and the best English you're capable of. Most of the experts on this site don't understand text talk. This is a free site, you're not being charged by the letter, so there's no reason not to write using full words. This is an English speaking site, so please try to use English. Text talk is against the rules of this site.

Thank you.

Mar 12, 2013, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    From what I've read, they've deemed it "likely safe" to take cod liver oil while nursing. What "likely safe" means, is that they haven't done enough research to really know for sure if it is safe, they just assume it is. So really, it's up to you.

This part of your post I can't understand. Please write using complete words and the best English you're capable of. Most of the experts on this site don't understand text talk. This is a free site, you're not being charged by the letter, so there's no reason not to write using full words. This is an English speaking site, so please try to use English. Text talk is against the rules of this site.

Thank you.
    I wrote that " i heard it helps in increasing breast milk and also helps to reduce unnecessary fat; like belly fat." So is it true?
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzzii View Post
    I wrote that " i heard it helps in increasing breast milk and also helps to reduce unnecessary fat; like belly fat." So is it true?
    Depends on where you read it. If you read it on the internet, then I'd be wary. Your best bet is to speak to your doctor about this.

Mar 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Depends on where you read it. If you read it on the internet, then I'd be wary. Your best bet is to speak to your doctor about this.
    Thanks
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Mar 13, 2013, 04:58 AM
    No, don't do that. It may have adverse effect. There are natural herbs and medicine for that. Name is Shatavari, a kind of asparagus(asparagus racemosus) will boost milk and lactation and also balance your female hormones. It is also good during period and after menu-pose. My mom used it in milk. Very effective. Comes in granules, tastes good.
    Pets Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    No, don't do that. It may have adverse effect. There are natural herbs and medicine for that. Name is Shatavari, a kind of asparagus(asparagus racemosus) will boost milk and lactation and also balance your female hormones. It is also good during period and after menu-pose. My mom used it in milk. very effective. comes in granules, tastes good.
    I would be very wary about taking any medication, especially herbs (which can be more dangerous than over the counter drugs) without an okay from your doctor.

People on the internet mean well, but unless you know for sure that this is okay (you should ask your doctor about it) you should never ever ever take anything recommended by someone online.

To smkanand, your mother is an individual. What works for her may not work for the OP. Prescribing any sort of medication, when you're not a doctor, you don't know the OP's medical history, is very dangerous.

Mar 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
    Thanks guys...
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Mar 15, 2013, 04:16 AM
    That medicine was recommended by a MD, plus it don't have any adverse effect.

Mar 15, 2013, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    That medicine was recommended by a MD, plus it don't have any adverse effect.
    Thanks, I asked my baby's pediatrics and he said its OK I can have it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safe for a child to consume cod liver oil and rose hip syrup at the same time? [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning to start my 6 year old daughter on the orange flavoured Scott's Emulsion which contains Cod Liver Oil, calcium and orange juice to boost her body's immunity as she recently started having occasional attacks of mild hives when she wakes up in the morning... the cause of which I can't...

Pros/Cons of Breast feeding vs. Formula feeding. [ 9 Answers ]

I have heard that if you don't breast feed your baby will have an unhealthy immune system (although I am pretty healthy, and was bottle fed), and I have also heard horror sotries about breast feeding. What are good vs. bad of breast feeding/bottle feeding?:D:D

Breast feeding [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I delivered on 1st Jan 2010. Have been breastfeeding every 2-3 hours for 25-30 minutes on each breast. Baby demands more milk sometimes and I find it hard to feed. My nipples cracked and have been sore since day 4. I was asked to apply nip-care (lanolin). The crack healed within days but the...

Feeding raw chicken liver to a little dog for the first time. [ 10 Answers ]

I would appreciate any opinions on giving a piece of raw chicken liver to a dog who has digestion related issues? She is stable at the moment and on a special combined diet of home cooked plus top quality dog food - which I plan to keep her on, but I would like to try some raw food again now. I...

Cod oil pills for adhd? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 and just started kindergarten. She is very hyper and always talking. She has been sent to iss for being disruptive, not paying attention, outburts, and not being quite during quite time. She is very bright, and according to her teahcer ahead of her classmates. I have taken her to...

View more questions Search