Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kltention Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Torque and power required to rotate a satellite dish
    I am constructing a reflector receptacle from a 20 by 22 inch satellite dish with curved mirrors. My goal is to track the sun and collect optimal energy.

The Dish itself weighs 20 lbs, but once my team and I add the solar panel mount we guessed the total weight will increase to about 25-28 lbs. We are all CE's and we are having a hard time figuring out the proper electric motor to invest in.

How much torque and power is needed to rotate our receptacle?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Since the sun moves quite slowly you need very little power or torque. However, if you want the ability to slew the dish at some higher rate of speed it will boost thepower needs. Also I suspect that most of the power needed will be to overcome friction in the bearings, not for energy required to move the dish itself. If you can provide an estimate of the friction in the gearing we could provide a better analysis. But for a ballpark estimate - consider the motors that are used by amateur astronomers so that they can track the heavenly bodies they study with a telescope (the same problem as your). A typical telescope may weigh 50 pounds or so, and the motors that are used in these mounts are typically rated at 12 VDC and 3 amps or so, so say 60 watts power. See for example this mount:
    CGEM DX Mount & Tripod Computerized Telescope [item # 91528] Mounts like these are already fully equipped with appropriate gearing and computer interfaces for tracking the sun, so perhaps you may want to consider using one of them instead of building your own?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I calculate the torque required to rotate a wheel with mass of 110kg? [ 0 Answers ]

I have to rotate rear wheel of a cycle with load of 110kg(weight of the whole cycle with driver) and at 500rpm or you can say 50km/h.so how I will be able to calculate the initial torque required to move the cycle

The torque required to rotate a shaft with a certain load... [ 4 Answers ]

O.k. here is the situation: A rotating clothes dryer, with a rotational diameter of 2.7m, caries a load of 30kg. I need to find out what torque is required to rotate the clothes dryer from the centre shaft. Can anybody help me with any relevant equations? thanks, joe.

How do I calculate a torque required to rotate a shaft equipped with paddles? [ 0 Answers ]

I must calculate a torque for a immersed shaft ( dia.= 4"; L= 25'-4") equipped with 8 paddles. This assy. Will function like a mixer. Fluid: water (water viscosity for calculation). I must use the existing equipments for this assy. The assy. Paddles are welded assy. From a pipe (mounted around...

Torque required to rotate 10 lb-ft? [ 1 Answers ]

Assembly has a 20:1 gear reducer and a 36 tooth and 18 tooth sprocket arrangement.

How to calculate the required torque to rotate the shaft? [ 2 Answers ]

HI to all I need the formula to calculate the required torque to rotate the shaft.

View more questions Search