Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1975IS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Can landlord take money from deposit to cover damage to other's property
    Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the ability of a landlord to take money from his tenant's deposit.
    I live in California. A neighbor who rents, had a party in the building. One of his guests damaged my property which was located, with permission, in a common area of the building. The landlord first said his insurance would cover the damage. However, his insurance refused saying the landlord was not responsible for the tenant's actions.

Can I demand that the landlord take money out of the tenant's deposit to cover my loss?

Thanks for your input!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I would try that approach and if it was not allowed or did not work, you may need to consider small claims court against your neighbor. Get your documentation in order and get all your options reviewed. Best of luck to you.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 21, 2007, 01:43 PM
    This is between you and the person who damaged your personal property. It never was the responsibility of the landlord, which is why the insurance would not cover it. This was either a manager or rental agent speaking to you or a novice landlord. No landlord is going to turn in a claim unless there is absolutely no other choice and the amount is substantial. Your own renter's insurance may be of help to you. You do have renter's insurance don't you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much of my deposit can be used for pet damage? [ 2 Answers ]

I rent in California and have been renting from the same person for the past four years. We have a deposit on our place, however, nothing was stipulated as to being, "pet" deposit. So if my dog has killed strips of grass from continued trampling, can she lay down new sod, and charge me for it? ...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

? About insurance coverage to someone's property I damage [ 1 Answers ]

I damaged some property at an office building. It was my fault. Does my homeowner's liability insurance cover that? If not, is there insurance that does cover it?

View more questions Search