Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
    Wood flooring
    So what do you think is better; engineered hardwood or hard wood? What are the key differences
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
    Depends on the application.

Mar 12, 2013, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    depends on the application.
    It's going in a basement, so engineered is probably the way to go, just wondering about the pros and cons about both types.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JackOfFewTrades View Post
    It's going in a basement, so engineered is probably the way to go, just wondering about the pros and cons about both types.
    In a basement on a slab the engineered is the way to go because that's is installed floating, vapor barrier and all... the old style has to be nailed down... just for starters... You really don't need a pro and con list... because the engineered flooring is really your only practicle option if you want wood in a basement. Installation methods alone would give you every reason you need to know.

Upstairs over wood subflooring... I would make the argument for the old style hardwood. Because its longer lasting and can be refinished. And as good as the engineered stuff can look... it really doesn't beat the real thing. But that's just one mans opinion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2013, 07:46 AM
    If there is any dampness at all, not even engineered - laminate, or fake wood grain, which is pretty good looking these days. (Engineered is laminated of course but this is the terminology used).
    Did you do a dampness test with a square of plastic for 2 days?
    If it is at all damp, I would use a stained concrete sealer.
    Concrete is rarely nice and smooth and level, and there is nothing more gross than removing some flooring in a basement and seeing 70 billion bugs scatter. They love it under there.

Mar 12, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Well it's a raised basement, grading is built up 4 feet on some sides one side is a walk out. No dampness. I know engineered is the best option for what I want. Some one was asking my the main differences of the two so I thought Id ask.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Lay out about a 3 or 4 foot square piece of plastic on the concrete... put boards or something on it a for a few days... then lift it up and see if its wet...

If it is... you don't want to use that as you will have problems.

Main differences? Look a 2X4 and a piece of plywood. That is the most basic and common difference. There are many subtle differences between different manufacturers products in the details.

Seriously... some have a printed photo of wood under the finish (seriously a picture)... some actually have a real wood veneer under the finish.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
    "No dampness" don't be sio sure until you try the test smoothy has given you. I would not put down boards but would tap with duct tape on all four sides. Nearly every concrete slab on grade gives dampness so your basement will likely too. I am currently putting down a vinyl plank tile that looks like engineered wood that is 100% water proof, much better choice for a basement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Wood flooring too tight [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a new home a couple of months ago. It has floating wood floors and I am finding out that, though it's pretty, I do not like it. It shows every foot print, for one. And it makes crackling, squeaky noises when walking on it. First question... is this normal? And secondly, I think it...

Wood flooring [ 4 Answers ]

How do you clean wood floors without slipping and breaking your neck? I have Murphey's Oil Soap but I have also heard water is not good for wood floors. Suggestions?

Marble and wood flooring [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving into a new house without flooring. I would like wood floors in the kitchen. My husband thinks it will look "too woody". I am looking for pictures to show him, done with color variation between the cabinates and flooring, it shouldn't. I also want to know it we could use marble...

View more questions Search