Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Video store asking for credit card, driver's licence number
    A video store where I had been going to for over 20 yrs used to only require a name and phone number, now they said my old account expired and they want either my credit card number or driver's licence number plus a 50 dollar deposit to rent a video. I said I had no problem showing them my driver's licence and leaving the deposit, but was not willing to give them the numbers for either my licence or credit card. They said that hotels and car rentals require a credit card, but my gut feeling told me that I shouldn't give them to some minimum wage types at a video store, especially since employees come and go every other month. Am I right or just being paranoid? If what they are doing is wrong, who can I report them to?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Its legal and legitimate... if you rent several movies then skip town they can charge your credit card account. Apparently they might have had a larger number of people doing just that so they apply it to everyone equally.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
    This is very common. I started renting videos back in '82 and had to show a license and card even back then.

If it's Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, it's policy for them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Do you have a credit card? If so, I would leave that. It's a lot easier to monitor to make sure there are no unauthorized charges, then to worry about your driver's license # used for identity theft.

Mar 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I have both a licence and credit card, but I'm not comfortable giving either one to these people. A departing employee could take the info with them and run up all kinds of charges, so I figure better safe than sorry.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I have both a licence and credit card, but I'm not comfortable giving either one to these people. A departing employee could take the info with them and run up all kinds of charges, so I figure better safe than sorry.
    Legally your credit card liability is limited to $50. Usually, if you report misuse in a timely fashion, the card issuer won't charge you anything. So I would not be worried about a low level video store clerk racking up lots of charges.

Like I said, it would be more of an identity theft problem if they used your driver's license because it might be harder to prove and longer before you catch it. With a credit card, you catch unauthorized charges in the next billing cycle at the latest.

I've had 3-4 instances of unauthorized charges. The last time was with a Discover card. I reported the charges immediately and they were removed entirely. When there were more in the next billing cycle, the account was closed and replaced. I was not out one penny out of pocket.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Legally your credit card liability is limited to $50. Usually, if you report misuse in a timely fashion, the card issuer won't charge you anything. So I would not be worried about a low level video store clerk racking up lots of charges.

Like I said, it would be more of an identity theft problem if they used your driver's license because it might be harder to prove and longer before you catch it. With a credit card, you catch unauthorized charges in the next billing cycle at the latest.

I've had 3-4 instances of unauthorized charges. The last time was with a Discover card. I reported the charges immediately and they were removed entirely. When there were more in the next billing cycle, the account was closed and replaced. I was not out one penny out of pocket.
    Same here... credit card company in my case actually rejected the charges on the spot then notified me.. (fell outside my pattern in a different part of the country).. they replaced the card with a new one before I even saw anything on a statement.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Or get yourself a pay as you go credit card put 50 bucks on it.

Jun 2, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    or get yourself a pay as you go credit card put 50 bucks on it.
    That's a really good idea, I see most stores sell pay as you go cards, they would be good for internet purchases too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 03:42 AM
    It is of course always your choice, you can choose to stop renting videos from them and try to find a place that will rent to you without this. ** or use some of the online services, to watch on computer. Or some of the paid TV services to watch movies.
    ** all of which will normally also require your credit card.

If this is a small local owned store, ask to talk to the owner and make a case of your long time membership.

But yes, this is done at any movie rental place in US, I know of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a quebec driver's licence if I have a suspended licence in ontario? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to transfer my ontario licence driving record to quebec so as to get my licence. My ontario licence was suspended 10 years ago and later expired. Will this prevent me from transferring my driving experience and getting a licence in quebec?

How can I tell if a credit card number is a "real" VISA/MC or a card Check?Debit Card [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell based on the account number? Thanks.

Credit Card Theft In Retail Store [ 13 Answers ]

I'm wondering if any of you out there might be able to help me out with this situation. My wife has a record with credit card theft. She was put on Probation back in 2004 and was taken off sometime in 2008. She completed her probation so all of that was taken care of. Just today 2 detectives...

My game won't play normally even though I undated my ProSavage DDR video card driver [ 2 Answers ]

I am a complete computer idiot, but I love to play Sims on the PC. I installed Sims to a few years ago, but have never been able to play it normally. It is very slow, takes long time to load, and sometimes freezes, but not often. My friend said to download an update for my video card driver or...

View more questions Search