Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Damesworth Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Studor vent
    We have a studor vent installed under our kitchen sink. We are in a newly built home on a slab. For a year now we have had a noise coming from under the kitchen sink that is comparable to a knock or rattle whenever we flush the toilets, run water in the bathroom sinks, washing machine in drain cycle, and when we are taking showers. We have had the plumbing company out and they have replaced the studor vent and wrapped the PVC pipe thinking it might be hitting the sink. To no avail it is still making the noise. Any suggestions?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Do you have a vent pipe going through your roof above the bathroom area?

Mar 11, 2013, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Do you have a vent pipe going through your roof above the bathroom area?
    Yes
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
    Suggest that you have a blocked vent pipe.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
    I would suggest unthreading the studor vent and plug it (just temporarily) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, try a different brand of studor vent. You should be able to use an AAV vs a studor vent for kitchen sink. Now, this could also be a water hammer issue. Plug the bathroom sink with the stopper and run water, still get the noise? If you get the noise when no water is actually going down the drain, you have a water hammer problem. If so, let us know if you have a pressure reducing valve, booster pump with a check valve, or anything else that may be culprit.

Mar 12, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    I would suggest unthreading the studor vent and plug it (just temporarily) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, try a different brand of studor vent. You should be able to use an AAV vs a studor vent for kitchen sink. Now, this could also be a water hammer issue. Plug the bathroom sink with the stopper and run water,,still get the noise? If you get the noise when no water is actually going down the drain, you have a water hammer problem. If so, let us know if you have a pressure reducing valve, booster pump with a check valve, or anything else that may be culprit.
    Ok, we'll check these and let you know, thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
    We are in a newly built home on a slab We have a studor vent installed under our kitchen sink.
    Something's wrong here. If you're in the USA this house should never passed final inspection band been CO ed without proper venting, I have no doubts that you have major vent design defects that should be looked into. I'm surprisd the plumbers you had out didn't inform you of this.
    If this were my call I would either get in some sharper plumbers or contact the builder or contractor with your concerns. Good luck, Tom

Mar 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Something's wrong here. If you're in the USA this house should never passed final inspection band been CO ed without proper venting, I have no doubts that you have major vent design defects that should be looked into. I'm surprisd the plumbers you had out didn't inform you of this.
    If this were my call I would either get in some sharper plumbers or contact the builder or contractor with your concerns. Good luck, Tom
    Tom,
    Thank you for reassuring our thoughts. We are in TN,USA. The plumber was the one from the builder. This issue has been brought to the attention of the contractor. This has been one of our many issues. They keep telling us everything is working properly. This is the third time they've come out to look at it. We've even had a home inspection first done by the codes inspector prior to closing then one done by an independent home inspector 11 months into occupancy, after we've had so many problems... he is the one that mentioned and noted the studor vent. We are not going to give up on this that is why we wanted to get some outside suggestions. Thank you again.
    whitewolf7117 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Damesworth View Post
    Tom,
    Thank you for reassuring our thoughts. We are in TN,USA. The plumber was the one from the builder. This issue has been brought to the attention of the contractor. This has been one of our many issues. They keep telling us everything is working properly. This is the third time they've come out to look at it. We've even had a home inspection first done by the codes inspector prior to closing then one done by an independent home inspector 11 months into occupancy, after we've had so many problems .... he is the one that mentioned and noted the studor vent. We are not going to give up on this that is why we wanted to get some outside suggestions. Thank you again.
    Call in, and pay for, your own Master plumber. You mentioned numerous problems with the home... I would think that the builder has no incentive to find them. Just my 2 pennies.

Mar 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf7117 View Post
    Call in, and pay for, your own Master plumber. You mentioned numerous problems with the home...I would think that the builder has no incentive to find them. Just my 2 pennies.
    Our thoughts too. That is our next step. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Studor vent (air admittance vent) [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my garage, which will require approx a 30 ft run of 11/2 " drain pipe. The 11/2" will be going into the 3" main drain line. I should be able to get 1/4" per foot pitch over the 30 ft run. My guestion is ,will I need to install a studor vent at the sink trap?

Studor vent vs. Vent pipe [ 8 Answers ]

Applications for each? Differences? Pros/Cons?

Studor vent [ 8 Answers ]

I have been reading the problem that one man had with the vent? I am confused. If you remove the vent and the water goes out with no problem and does not back up even through the open pipe why would the drain be clogged? I have the problem with the vent on the water backs up in both sinks. ...

Do I need a Studor Vent [ 11 Answers ]

The contractor who is remodeling my kitchen installed a new sink. The drain pipe goes under the floor through the crawl space. He said there is enough height to the drainage, so there is no need to install a vent. I have read that you need to install a studor vent if it's hard to connect to the...

Studor Vent [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a new roof (flat) after Hurricane Wilma. My bathroom vent pipe had blown out through the roof and the roofers stupidly tarred over the drain. Not wanting to open up the roof, the contracted plumber said that a studor vent could be used instead of opening up the hole on the roof. Even...

View more questions Search