Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goodguy-1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
    4 inch toilet drain stack
    Is it all right to have the toilet flush pipe drop stright down from upstairs all the way down to the basement to the sewer drain pipe, or is that going to cause a clog at the bottom due to the falling distance? this will be a new upstairs bath
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Hi GG-1

I assume that you have other fixtures (sink/tub/shower) connected to the 4" drain stack, right?

If so, and as long as the fixtures are properly VENTED, then there should be no problem with the drop from top floor to basement. Do you understand how to properly vent or wet vent pplumbing fixtures?

I would advise installing a cleanout at the base of the stack... you'll appreciate that if needed in the future... ;)

Queastions? Let us know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you connect shower drain below toilet drain on main stack [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower and vanity. Need to know if I can connect them to main Stack below where toilet and bathtub are connected on main pipe.

Can you replace a 4 inch cast iron soil stack with 3 inch pvc? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home built (I'm guessing) in the early 1900's. I noticed a leak in my basement coming from the old 4 inch cast iron soil stack running from my second floor bathroom to the basement. There is water dripping down the pipe to the basement. Three plumbers have come out to...

Minimum for toilet drain/stack drop? [ 1 Answers ]

I am needing to move a toilet about 2 feet in a direction away from where it is now and away from the stack. Current setup is a 4" CI main stack with an L shaped 3" drain for the toilet. Toilet is about 2'x2' L. Can I t into that L and cap it? Can I make a new L and t into the main stack...

Can a new shower use the toilet stack to drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Your website is wonderful... it makes me believe that you may have the answer to a question that six plumbers in Los Angeles couldn't. I have a guest bath in my condo that I would like to install a shower in. My hot water heater is located in the bathroom, in a 3 x 3.5 foot closet. ...

View more questions Search