Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spaghetti-os Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Overqualified with a Criminal Record?
    I'm a 25 year old environmental scientist with 5 years of professional experience. I was recently laid off from a great job where I had tons of responsibility and a pretty hefty pay check for such a young guy when my company hit hard times.

Shortly thereafter, I was arrested and charged with DUI, Vehicluar Assault, and Leaving the Scene of an Accident... Long story. Bottom line, I made a bad choice to drive and then a suicidal drug addict illegal immigrant threw himself into traffic. I creamed him and put him in the ER. I had just left dinner and had beer a hint on my breath. I didn't stop in the middle of the highway for safety reasons so I tried to pull off somewhere safe but was arrested within seconds before I could return to the scene and stop traffic. Needless to say, I am now facing two felonies and a DUI.

My criminal record has put me out of the running for any job in my field due to background checks and the necessity of a valid driver's license. I am now forced to find employment outside of my field.

Every job that I have applied for, be it restaurant or retail or whatever I can find, has either not replied or told me that I'm overqualified, sorry this is not a good fit. And many of these even require a background check!

The online application process makes things very difficult. Everyone wants my recent employment history , duties, and salary which is usually well beyond the job I'm applying for and my previous salary is 2-3 times what they can offer me. I just get written off immediately.

So the question is, how can I get a job without lying about my past employment and making something up to cover the gap in employment? Is that what I have to do to get a low-paying job? Seems crazy to me!

Help I'm really between a rock and a hard place here and going broke!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2013, 07:31 PM
    It's a bad economy out there and has been for the last 4 years... and I expect its going to be at least another few before it really starts to recover.

You are far from alone in finding trouble to get any work, much less good work.

Keep your spirits up... keep looking.. and turn nothing down because once you exhaust your unemployment benefits... any work is better than no work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I remove njp from my civilian criminal record record? [ 0 Answers ]

On 01 AUG 2005, I was discharged under OTHER THAN Honorable conditions and an RE-Code 4. From 2006-07, my two requests (military file AND personal appearance) for a discharge upgrade to an Honorable from the Army Discharge Review Board Agency were denied. Then, the Army BCMR, also, denied my...

What can you do with a criminal record? [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of jobs can you possibly receive with a criminal record? And if you move to another state and you apply for a job will your record show in that state also?

Do I have a criminal record? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am about to apply for a volunteering project which involves working with kids, but they are going to crb check me, I have had a few minor previous offences for smoking weed and tagging when I was young, but I am not a baad guy at all. I was taken into the cells and fingerprinted twice, which...

Criminal Record? [ 5 Answers ]

In Toronto Canada I got the appearance notice and fingerprinted. On first appearance I was told to pay few $ to charity and after two day I was told your charge has been withdrawn/dismissed. Question: 1) Am I convicted? 2) Am I having criminal record? 3) Am I...

Criminal Record? [ 1 Answers ]

In Toronto Canada I got the appearance notice for theft under and cop allow me to go (no arrest), on appearance day my charge was withdrawn and asked me to pay to charity. My question is will I be having criminal record? I am 26 year old.

View more questions Search