Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smurfjp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Plaster board vs blue board
    What is the difference in plaster board or blue board for a basement, which is better
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Hi Smurfjp

In my area, plasterboard is called drywall and it is used with JOINT COMPOUND.

Blueboard is used with plaster and plaster is usually NOT for the homeowner to mess with.

If you are a homeowner that is new to this and is planning on installing and finishing the wallboard then you'll probably want a MOISTURE-RESISTANT or MOLD-RESISTANT plasterboard, you'll want to be sure to keep the plasterboard at least 1/2" to 3/4" off the floor (prevents wicking), and you'll want to practice on scrap pieces before working on your finish walls with the joint compound.

If this is a large area, I would suggest working with joint compound from a bag instead of the stuff that comes in a bucket. These types of joint compound differ in time to set and sandability, so be sure to talk to a knowledgeable person in the plasterboard department.

Do you have insulation and a vapor barrier (or insulation with a vapor barrier) installed in the basement walls?

Questions?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco or plaster directly to cement board? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Can I apply stucco or plaster directly to cement board? (ie - without the use of a wire/fiber mesh) If so can I do it in one coat or do I have to use a base then finishing coat? This is in a basement I am finishing. Thank you

How many bags of diamond plaster do I need for 25 sheets of 4 X 12 blue board? [ 1 Answers ]

How many bags of diamond plaster do I need for 25 sheets of 4 X 12 blue board

Plastering and Plaster board [ 11 Answers ]

I'm currently hanging the plaster board myself in my basement. I do plan on hiring out some guys to do the actual plastering since they are good friends of my original home contractor and since they are the pros, they would probably be the best choice to hide any mistakes of mine. Since I know...

View more questions Search