Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephaniemeyer5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Is pharmacist asking for reason behind medication a hipaa violation?
    Is the pharmacist asking me why I am taking a certain
    Medication a hipaa violation?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 9, 2013, 10:19 AM
    My pharmacist takes even better care of me than my doctor does and knows as much or more about drugs and interactions with foods and other drugs. He makes sure I understand the med and dosage, etc . Many meds are taken for more than one reason, so I would think it is a good thing that your pharmacist knows what is going on with you medically. If he has questions and maybe reservations about the prescription, he should talk with the prescribing doctor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2013, 12:41 PM
    No its not. It's the pharmacist's job to understand why you may be taking a medication to judge whether there might be a problem. By asking the question the pharmacist is asking your permission to have the knowledge, you can refuse and say you trust your doctor.

This doesn't even come close to a HIPAA violation.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 08:23 AM
    A doctor knows a lot of what is going on in your body, as does a pharmacist. A pharmacist often knows the medication and the resulting effects better than a doctor because that is their job. They will often pick up possible negative drug interactions between all your medication that your doctor will have overlooked.

He's looking out for you and your health. This isn't a HPIAA violation.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2013, 08:57 AM
    In addition, it never hurts to have checks and balances, because doctors can and do make mistakes in all sorts of ways:
    Name of one drug very much like the name of another
    Limits of maximum dosage may be exceeded
    Interactions with other drugs you take, especially from another doctor
    Your history, a condition that is a warning to avoid this drug

I have had one or more happen. Each of my parents did. The news of full of such stories. It's rampant. People die.
    I would thank your pharmacist for asking.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 09:10 AM
    No violation - good and thorough service. You don't have to answer the question but it's best if your pharamacist does get his questions answered. There may be instructions related to the drug that are specific to your medical circumstances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

When u are asked about why something was said to you from a co-worker by another co-worker and you reply saying that you cannot discuss it due to HIPAA Rules? Is this a violation? I was fired from my position saying that the co-worker can assume from knowing my previous employment.

Can a pharmacist ask a patient why they are taking a medication? [ 4 Answers ]

Can a pharmacist ask a patient why they are taking a medication and deny a medication based on that discussion? Or, do they need to talk to the Physician.

HIPAA violation? [ 6 Answers ]

my husband was recently randomly tested and it came back positive for marijuana. Not a fulltime smoker but every now and then if someone has it he may take a puff. he attended counseling and went through the classes. He was re-tested by the couselor and came back clean. he went back to work...

Is it a HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer owns a medical practise and I am the physician who works for her. She is supposed to bill for the patients so that money can come in. For the past several weeks, she has not been doing the billing either in the office or from home and therefore, there is no income. She has kept several...

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

View more questions Search