Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ogional View Post
    just like if an associate witnesses someone stealing from the store and on the clock they can not use the cell phone to report that crime. They have to let the store manager or manager know before they can make the call but even then associates still aren't allowed too make the call only the managers are.
    A theft while at work, on the clock, is handled differently than an assault.

You're right, if an associate is caught stealing by another associate, the chain of action normally taken, starts with reporting it to the manager.

But we're not talking about theft here, we're talking about assault. Also, you stated that you weren't working at the time, you were done with your shift.

You really don't get the difference, do you?

Let's say you and I work at Walmart together. We're scheduled to work a shift together. During our shift I go to the bathroom, you follow me in, and you beat me up. Do you think that I need the managers permission, or okay, to call the police on you?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Don't matter.. if you tripped me I would call the cops and then to be honest call my husband. I have been pushed around by too many bullies and men to put up with that . I don't care company policy. Can you imagine too when I went to the media to say I got in trouble for reporting a crime and not going to store manager first.. . LOL that would be a nightmare for headoffice.
    ogional Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2013, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Let's say you and I work at Walmart together. We're scheduled to work a shift together. During our shift I go to the bathroom, you follow me in, and you beat me up. Do you think that I need the managers permission, or okay, to call the police on you?
    You do need to take it to your manager first before you can even call the police and even then your still not allowed to and end up pressing charges. Even after everything is done with. Yes you can go down to the station and file a statement and press charges there but not while your on property. If you were a customer you could.
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:21 PM
    Its not walmarts fault. The call here in the report happened on walmart property between two associates and this is not assumptions this is actual proof through the police report that these two associates called the cops on me. What happens on walmart property is considered on the clock.
    No, you're wrong. You're wrong on so many levels that it's actually sad. You really don't have even a small clue.

You were charged with assault. Even if you were still in the store, working, actually on the clock, if you committed assault on anyone, even another associate, they have the right to call the police on you. Walmart isn't responsible for your actions. You can't just beat people up because you believe they're not allowed to call the cops on you because you work together! That's not how things work.

You went to jail for 21 days! Obviously there was a reason for that. If you can prove that you're innocent of the charges made against you, then at best you can sue those that had you falsely arrested. You have no case, not even a small one, absolutely nothing, against Walmart.

How is this hard to understand? It's not even about the law, it's just common sense!
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:22 PM
    I call BS show me in an employee handbook where it says that... PROOF
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:22 PM
    You do need to take it to your manager first before you can even call the police and even then your still not allowed to and end up pressing charges. Even after everything is done with. Yes you can go down to the station and file a statement and press charges there but not while your on property. If you were a customer you could.
    No.

You're wrong.

If you're assaulted, you have every right to call the police. You do not need to get permission from a manager.

Mar 8, 2013, 07:25 PM
    If you're an associate your not allowed to call the cops you have to take it to the store manager or manager first and let them deal with it. Otherwise you'd end up being terminated for going against policy.

Have you ever worked for walmart before? From the sounds of it I doubt it. Your not allowed to use your cell phone while on the clock even if someone assaults you.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Sounds like your associate would have grounds for wrongful dismissal then. As no company can take away your basic legal rights. The law trumps company policy.

Mar 8, 2013, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    Sounds like your associate would have grounds for wrongful dismissal then. As no company can take away your basic legal rights. The law trumps company policy.
    Not Exactly. Ya you have a right to call the law no one can stop you. But doing so may end up getting yourself terminated for going against several policies.
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:38 PM
    Not Exactly. Ya you have a right to call the law no one can stop you. But doing so may end up getting your self terminated for going against several policies.
    You have yet to post Walmart's policy. I'm really interested to see where they say "You can rape someone, you can assault someone, you can even murder someone if you both work for us, but if you call the cops to report it, you'll be fired".

Is Walmart above the law? I don't think so. I'm sure that Walmart would be very interested to hear your interpretation of their policy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2013, 07:38 PM
    Not Exactly. Ya you have a right to call the law no one can stop you. But doing so may end up getting your self terminated for going against several policies.
    You are missing the main point here. You keep saying that these associates violated company policy. And it sounds like you are right, that they did.

So the point is how does this make Wal-Mart responsible? Wal-Mart can and has (according to you) set policies. They can't be held responsible if an employee willfully violates their policy. That's why you have no grounds to sue Wal-Mart. They did not create the environment that allowed this to happen. Just the opposite according to you.

Mar 8, 2013, 07:41 PM
    They created a hostile work environment for me and anyone to work in. Now having to worry about walking out the doors and being arrested every time. What they did was harassment they were informed there was nothing the police could do. I'm trying to find out if I have a law suit or not for a hostile work environment you all have no clues to weather it is or not since you don't know walmart policies since you never worked there so I might as well find myself an attorney and seek better legal advice rather than morals.
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Since you refuse to post the policy you think was violated, I've sent an email to Walmart to ask them. I've included a link to your thread. No one is above the law. If Walmart has actually made a policy stating that anyone employed by them, can commit any crime against another employee, and the employee that was violated cannot call the police without fear of being terminated from their position, then Walmart will be in legal hell.

But, I'm smart enough to know that there's no such policy. Which means that you have no legal reason to sue Walmart, but they now have a reason to sue you.

Mar 8, 2013, 07:57 PM
    I would get a copy of the policy but I can not get it since I am no longer an employee. Its not that I refuse to I can't get it. I'm being told what I'm being told by walmart what's against policies and what's not. So if you want to keep arguing then I will talk to an attorney and find out for myself if I have a law suit or not from sexual harassment harassment discrimination because of my disabilities (ASD) to hostile work environment.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2013, 07:57 PM
    If you have money to waste.. anyone can try to sue almost anyone for almost anything, assuming they can convince a judge to hear the case first... Winning however is an entirely different thing.

And I doubt most Walmart employees make enough money to waste on frivolous lawsuits, and people unemployment certainly don't. Walmart however can bankrupt you in legal fees before it ever makes it into the courtroom, if you are intent on trying.

And good luck finding any lawyer willing to take a case they can't win on contingency. But if you pay them... sure they will go along with you as long as your checks keep clearing.

This is one of those times in life... if you are smart, you lick your wounds and quietly fade into the background. Unless you are intent on making your situation worse than it is.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 08:00 PM
    You admitted you committed battery by tripping an associate.. So please tell me how it is that you did not make the work place hostile? I am lost. How is it that you are innocent and that you did not create the issue?
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 08:04 PM
    they created a hostile work environment for me and anyone to work in. Now having to worry about walking out the doors and being arrested every time. What they did was harassment they were informed there was nothing the police could do. I'm trying to find out if I have a law suit or not for a hostile work environment you all have no clues to weather it is or not since you don't know walmart policies since you never worked there so I might as well find my self an attorney and seek better legal advice rather than morals.
    We don't know Walmart policy since you refused to post it no matter how many times we asked.

No worries, I've now gone to the source.

The thing is, if Walmart has a policy that employees can commit any crime (according to you) to another employee, and the violated employee is not allowed (due to Walmart policy which you stated) to utilize their rights by calling the police, than Walmart is in for a huge lawsuit.

If Walmart actually obeys the law, and doesn't prohibit it's employees from utilizing their rights, reporting crimes (assault is different from in-store theft), than you're likely the one that's going to be sued, since you misrepresented, and even defamed them, by what you wrote on this thread.

Mar 8, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    You admitted you committed battery by tripping an associate.. So please tell me how it is that you did not make the work place hostile? I am lost. How is it that you are innocent and that you did not create the issue?
    Never did trip an associate I was using those as an example. I talk to no one unless I have to ask a question. Don't cuss at work. I only talk to one or two people and that's it other than that I'm to quiet of a person to start anything hostile. Retaliation is hostile. Autism Spectrum Disorder if you got a problem with the way I explain things then be my guest go at it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 08:07 PM
    Autism Spectrum Disorder if you got a problem with the way I explain things then be my guest go at it.
    You are an Aspie?
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 08:09 PM
    I would get a copy of the policy but I can not get it since I am no longer an employee. Its not that I refuse to I can't get it. I'm being told what I'm being told by walmart whats against policies and whats not. So if you want to keep arguing then I will talk to an attorney and find out for my self if I have a law suit or not from sexual harassment harassment discrimination because of my disabilities (ASD) to hostile work environment.
    Talk to an attorney. You may need one, because I have written to Walmart, and included a link to this thread.

Do you not see how what you're saying is nonsense? Are you actually suggesting that a company, especially a major company, can make a policy stating that fellow employees can commit any crime to one another, without fear of the police being called? Do you not see how stupid that is?

Did you read my hypothetical's? You're saying that if you and I work together, you can rape me in the Walmart bathroom during our shift, or even after, or even in my home after we're both done work, and I have to report that rape to a supervisor? I can't call the cops without fear of being fired?

Does that make sense to you? Let's wait and see how Walmart feels about what you've said about their supposed policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hostile work environment or being discriminated? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey all I am not sure whether I am being discriminated against or not so would appreciate your thoughts. Background info: After I joined two new employees were recruited to build a bigger team. Both are in a senior role to me but we all report into the same manager - note I do not report...

Hostile work environment? [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked at my place of employment for just over a year and a half, and my boss is... well I wouldn't want even anyone that has wronged me to work with this person. I have been called stupid, retarded and incompetent, I have been belittled and disrespected in front of other employees. Now, I'm...

Memo hostile work environment [ 1 Answers ]

My supervisor one of many has control of the jobs I do each day I continuously get the worst jobs if she is the one who assigns them to me. She talks to me like I am a low level of scum. When I mess up "come in late maybe once a year she makes note of docing my pay when there are others who...

Hostile work environment [ 5 Answers ]

I was working the other night when my supervisor and a co worker entered my work station and asked me to come to the office, so I went with them and me and the co worker got into a heated argument. My coworker was literally in my face yelling at me, so I looked at my supervisor who was just sitting...

View more questions Search