Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tessasmith1993 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 11:21 PM
    I am married having a child with another man in Georgia, does my ex have rights?
    I am married, haven't seen him in over 2 years and we have a son together. I am currently about to have a child with my boyfriend and we live in Georgia. Does my ex have rights to my second child? And does my boyfriend have to get legitimized?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 11:33 PM
    "Legitimized" to do what? What does "legitimized" mean?
    Wonderling Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Mar 7, 2013, 11:42 PM
    Your boyfriend can and should be listed as the father of the baby. Make sure you get his name and signature on the birth certificate. The child is still considered illegitimate because you are not married to the father, but it can have his or her father's last name. Your husband wouldn't have any responsibility toward the baby, nor 'rights'... unless he took you back and adopted the baby you're having. Wish you the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 11:58 PM
    In Georgia if you are married, the husband will be considered the legal father of the child, So I disagree with most of the people above who may not understand the law on birth.

In Georgia they will ask you if you are married, and who is the husband. That husband is considered the legal father.
    You need to divorce but issue there, Georgia will also not allow your divorce while pregnant,

So after birth, the real bio father will have to challenge paternity in court, and be listed as the father.
    Wonderling Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Mar 8, 2013, 01:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    In Georgia if you are married, the husband will be considered the legal father of the child, So i disagree with most of the people above who may not understand the law on birth.

In Georgia they will ask you if you are married, and who is the husband. That husband is considered the legal father.
    you need to divorce but issue there, Georgia will also not allow your divorce while pregnant,

So after birth, the real bio father will have to challenge paternity in court, and be listed as the father.
    Thanks for the correction. I shouldn't have answered!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you give up rights to a child in Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

How to give up birth rights to a child in Georgia

Child support -married man with other married woman -rights given up -agreed by both [ 7 Answers ]

My husband's infidelities has caught up with him and he now has an infant from another married woman. He has legally given up his parental rights as agreed between both himself and the other woman. She has taken him for child support and the court date is within the next few weeks. Will he have to...

View more questions Search