Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elisredden2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 09:20 PM
    What kind of work would it require to add amp (more power) to your home?
    What kind of work would it require to add amp (more power) to your home? Does it require the whole house being done? Can you add one area only like central A/C?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2013, 09:34 PM
    In order to increase the amperage supplied to your house you will need to have the local utility increase the wire size and then you will need to install a new main box or subpanel depending on what you have. Do you know what the rating of your breaker box is? What issue brought up this question? In some locations the power company supplies higher amperage than the box the builder installed. For example, in our neighborhood, the power company supplies wire rated at 200 amps but the houses have a 150 amp box. Suggest you talk to your local power supplier as they can tell you exactly what you have and need.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 05:07 AM
    What kind of work would it require to add amp (more power) to your home? Does it require the whole house being done? Can you add one area only like central A/C?
    I'm not really sure what you are asking, but I'll do my best.

To add more capacity to your home you'd need a service upgrade. This is the wiring and equipment at your electrical service. The wire outside on the house, the meter pan, entrance wire and main panel. The power company only get's involved if they feel the need to, which is rarely. Some power companies do provide some of this, but those are rare cases.

To run power to an A/C you just run what you need. Nothing requires running wire in the whole home unless you want that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ESSBase EXCEL add-in, is there a version of the install that does not require admin are [ 0 Answers ]

ESSBase EXCEL add-in, is there a version of the install that does not require admin rights?

How many electrical generators does a 100 MW power plant require [ 0 Answers ]

What is the present highest capacity of an electrical generator used in a power plant? What is the cost of such an electrical generator?

Power Windows & Seats Don't Work [ 4 Answers ]

2005 Chevy Tahoe/90,000 miles: Neither my drivers or passenger side power seats work. My passenger side power windows do not work, but my drivers side power windows do. I have replaced fuses several times and everything works for a few hours but then quits again. I called the dealer and they...

Work & Force & Power [ 1 Answers ]

Bob can throw a 500g rock with a speed of 30 m/s. He moves his hand forward 1.0 m while doing so. How much work does Bob do on the rock? How much force, assumed to be constant, does bob apply to the rock? What is Bob's maw power output as he throws the rock? W=225000J F= 225000N because 225000=...

View more questions Search