Ask
    vic678er Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 06:07 PM
    Can a bad tooth cause headaches
    Can a bad tooth cause a headaches that all I wented to no
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Yeah... it can also kill you if left untreated if its due to decay or an abscess.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Headaches, earaches, neck pain, eye pain, chronic bronchitis, chronic sinus congestion, general fatigue from low-grade infection, extreme fatigue from high infection...

Been there!
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
    Don't forget sepsis, heart valve infections... etc... if that bacteria enter the bloodstream.

People actually do die every year for problems that can easily be treated.

Also severe bone loss of the jaw... etc...
    letmethink Posts: 82, Reputation: 7

Mar 8, 2013, 01:34 AM
    Yeah.. will have headaches.. had experience..
    letmethink Posts: 82, Reputation: 7

Mar 8, 2013, 01:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Don't forget sepsis, heart valve infections....etc...if that bacteria enter the bloodstream.

People actually do die every year for problems that can easily be treated.

Also severe bone loss of the jaw...etc...
    Heart valve infections.. wow.. I never heard it before.usually when I get toothaches I would make all efforts to not to go to a dentist.. I am just scared thinking about hospitals.Now hearing this ,next time I won't make a delay
    honestwriter Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Hey I'm a final year student in dentistry...
    Tooth ache can cause Headaches... but those are only in severely decayed teeth. Although severe sensitivity in the tooth can also cause a temporary pain to the head.
    About the heart valve infections... lol... not every tom and harry can have the infections... infections to the heart occur only when the heart is already weak... or if the patient has undergone a cardiac surgery earlier or evn if he has a heart disorder from childhood (Congenital Heart Disease - CHD)
    Its better to never avoid a dentist... im not saying this caus I am one... im saying this cause I have seen and treated cases that are way beyond your imagination :D
    Cheers ! Hope I've answered your question :)
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2013, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by honestwriter View Post
    Hey im a final year student in dentistry...
    tooth ache can casue Headaches...but those are only in severely decayed teeth. Although severe sensitivity in the tooth can also cause a temporary pain to the head.
    About the heart valve infections......lol...not every tom and harry can have the infections......infections to the heart occur only wen the heart is already weak...or if the patient has undergone a cardiac surgery earlier or evn if he has a heart disorder from childhood (Congenital Heart Disease - CHD)
    Its better to never avoid a dentist...im not sayin this caus i am one...im sayin this cause i have seen and treated cases that are way beyond your imagination :D
    Cheers ! Hope ive answered your question :)
    Um... no disrespect intended, but I know pratcicing MD's and Dentists (who I see) Husband and wife practice, with decades experience that will argue you don't need to have a heart condition for that too happen (but that would make it more likely to happen). You don't have to be old either.

There was a high profile death of a teenage in my area a few years ago that died because of that... bad tooth /abess got into the blood stream causing a blood infection (sepsis.)... leading to cardiac arrest and death...

The teen had no other underlying medical problems

Marian Wright Edelman: Deamonte Driver's Death From Toothache Grants More Kids Dental Care Access

This story was local to mee and its all you heard for weeks on the local news... my dentist did comment on it to me when it was still very recent.

Mar 8, 2013, 08:37 AM
    Hey no probs... none taken.
    I know what is Bacteremia... its the flow of bacteria along with the blood stream.
    But these cases are very very rare when it comes to a normal healthy individual cause his/her heart's walls aren't weak already .Not every person is susceptible to this.
    But the above conditions of the heart that I have mentioned earlier are the most susceptible to this situation and thereby we give an antibiotic prophylaxis before the treatment. We don give an antibiotic prophylaxis to a normal patient...
    Cheers mate !
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2013, 08:40 AM
    I agree some people are more succeptible than others... because I'm one of those that is. And my Doctor as well as a Cardiologist went into great detail with me years ago when it was discovered.

That's how I know that muich about it even though I do not work in the medical field. Because I have to be extra cautious for these sorts of things.

Mar 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Ah... u have a mdeical condition... alright... makes sense now...
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by honestwriter View Post
    Ah....u have a mdeical condition...alright.....makes sense now....
    Yep.

Mar 8, 2013, 08:46 AM
    Ah... you have a medical condition... alright... makes sense.
    Nd yea... you r doing the right thing... be careful !
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 09:51 AM
    This topic has a broad spectrum, honest writer, I agree with your diagnoses. Also point out, the very old and anyone with an autoimmune disease are susceptible to backlash from abscessed teeth, BUT, the condition has to go a long time untreated in order to cause sepsis. If a dental patient has a serious heart condition, or health issue,they are recommended to take antibiotics to quell the infection before dental treatment.

I too have a background in dental surgery having worked for an endodontist in the US for a few years before coming home to Canada. Now working in the healthcare sector.

Thank you for you invaluable input, honestwriter.

Mar 8, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    This topic has a broad spectrum, honest writer, I agree with your diagnoses. Also point out, the very old and anyone with an autoimmune disease are susceptible to backlash from abscessed teeth, BUT, the condition has to go a long time untreated in order to cause sepsis. If a dental patient has a serious heart condition, or health issue,they are recommended to take antibiotics to quell the infection before dental treatment.

I too have a background in dental surgery having worked for an endodontist in the US for a few years before coming home to Canada. Now working in the healthcare sector.

Thank you for you invaluable input, honestwriter.
    Hey... yes... any thing that compromises the immune system of the body is susceptible to it. And yes... bacteremia doesn't occur in a hour's time.. its a chronic condition (not always - acute bacteremia exists - but wrt to this topic its ,mostly chronic).
    Nyc to know we have a dentist amongst us :)
    Cheers Tickle... will c you around.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Yes, you are the dentist, not me, just a nurse's aid who keeps eyes and ears open! I have worn many hats though.

Mar 8, 2013, 11:24 AM
    Oh I thought u were a dentist... bt u do have a good sense of humor ! :)
    Cya around :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in throat tooth nerves but teeth don't hurt bad taste bad breath [ 2 Answers ]

Pain not in teeth but throat .bad taste bad breath ,facing surgery ,not dental And concerned about risks ,no matter how much I brush floss ,use mouthwash It doesn't help .I also cough up flemm

Decayed tooth with clogged ear and headaches [ 3 Answers ]

I has to get a root canal done and during the procedure the dentist gave me too much novacaine and I had an allergic reaction. My face swelled up for a week and I got taken to the hospital. I recently went to the dentist because that back tooth has been hurting me and apparently my old dentist...

Bad headaches [ 0 Answers ]

I get these strange things in my head. Like, I will just be sitting down, and it feels like everything around me just stops. It feels like my head gets kicked in, and I feel sick. When I am able to focus, I get a really bad headache which does not go away even with aspirin. If it does pass, I feel...

Why do I get bad headaches [ 1 Answers ]

I've been having bad headaches for 5 months I've tried taking pills for them but they just hurt worse when I take them nothing makes them go away.. They make me feel light headed at sometimes or sleepy I can't concentrate in school or on other things cause they bother me and hurt bad I get dizzy...

Bad headaches [ 2 Answers ]

I have been experiencing headaches on the left side of my head . The headache is constant and encompasses the entire left side of my head from the base of my skull to the front of my forehead and behind my left eye. I have to take ibuprofen several times a day and get very little relief. It...

View more questions Search