Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    147d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 03:29 PM
    1099 misc box 7 sporadic
    I have a 1099 misc it was for a learning program, at the end we got $700 for taking these classes. It was a one time thing. Can I file this on line 21 or do I have to pay self-employment and use schedule c
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 05:09 PM
    If the $700 is in Box #7, you need the Schedules C and SE.
    The Junoo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2013, 12:39 PM
    If you had any expenses in connection with the income that you received on your 1099-Misc, then your Tax Adviser would suggest that you enter this information on Sch C / Sch SE and deduct those expenses that were directly associated with the 1099-Misc income. Thus, you are effectively lowering your taxable income earned from the 1099-Misc income, resulting in a lower tax liability.If on the other hand, there were no expenses related to this income, then you should include this 1099-Misc income on Form 1040 Page 1 Line 21, as other Income subject to self-employment taxes. Thus, subjecting you to a higher income tax on the 1099-Misc income earned, as this income is going be subject to both regular tax rate and S/E tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean a 1099 misc in box 7? [ 1 Answers ]

On my 2010 1099 misc from the state of Illinois comptroller-witholding agent, box 7 was check. Do I owed money?

Where to show 1099-MISC SPORADIC Income Box 7 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1099-MISC with income ($824) in box 7. 1040 Line 21 says NOT HERE. Schedule C says NOT HERE because it's sporadic. 1040 instructions page 11 say CHECK INSTRUCTIONS ON FORM 1099-MISC. Since it's sporadic (i.e. a one-time event) I don't owe SE tax on it. It also includes...

1099 misc box 7 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I received an employment sign on bonus from a headhunter for taking a new job. The employment agency sent me a 1099 misc putting the amount on box 7 (non employee compensation). Now the IRS is suggesting that I might possibly owe self employment taxes. I'm not self employed. I just listed...

1099-misc Box 3 [ 1 Answers ]

I was hoping I could get some help on this - I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I got $1000 from my department as an award for teaching and it has shown up on the 1099-MISC form in box 3. Does this mean that I have to fill out 1040NR instead of 1040 NR-EZ? Thank you in advance! Marko

1099 misc box 7 [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 1099-MISC tax form with box 7 filled out for $1500.00. I was a mentor teacher for an intern in my classroom and I got the money for mentoring her. The money was given to me through the school system through a non profit organization. This organization was created by the school system and...

View more questions Search