Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snorwell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Reimbursed Moving Expenses
    In February, 2006 I transferred from Wisconsin to the New York area. My employer is located in New York City. Also in February, 2006 I contracted on a new residence in New Jersey. Because it was under construction I did not move into it until August, 2006. During the interim period, I lived with relatives in New York City.

Question 1) For tax purposes, am I correct in assuming I was never a New York resident?
    Question 2) My employer (the same as in Wisconsin) reimbursed most of my moving expenses thus making them federally taxable. Are these moving expenses also taxable to either New Jersey or New York?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:44 AM
    1) Technicaly, you were a NY resident, but I doubt that the NY tax authorities will be looking for you to get their "pound of flesh".

2) If the reimbursement was taxable on the federal return, they are also taxable on the state return, be it NY or NJ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My husband's new company paid for us to move but we still had to stay at a hotel and drive to the new location in two vehicles. Can we get reimbursed on the hotel stay, meals and mileage for the two vehicles? Thanks

Moving Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on L1 (Intra Company Transfer) on 2nd April 2006. I am in US since then. My company paid partial expenses for moving from India to US. Can I claim the rest of the amount as moving expenses ?

Moving expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a resident of the US for the entire year 2006 and moved out of the US on 16th Jan 2007. Can I claim moving expenses for the jan 07 move in the 2006 tax return? Thanks!

Moving Expenses question [ 3 Answers ]

So, I am trying to e-file at Taxact.com I worked from jan 2006 in NJ, and got promoted and moved to philly on dec 1st 2006. My employer paid for my moving expenses upfront, but I think I spent about $300 more than he gave me. When I enter this difference in my e-file, my refund increases...

1040 NR moving expenses [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India, My status was F1 (Jan 1, 2005-May 31, 2005) F1-OPT (June1, 2005 - Oct 31, 2005) H1b (Nov 1, 2005 - Dec 31, 2005) 1) I am planning to file 1040NR, I can claim standard deduction $5000 and personal exemption $3200, am I right? 2) I moved from GA to DE for my job, If I...

View more questions Search