Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bidi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Working from France and paid in the US
    Hi,

I worked in the US until April 13, 2006 under a H1-B visa. Because my visa expired, I went back to France but kept working for the same American compagny (from a computer at home). I am still getting paid on my American bank account. My tax status was changed to "x" (non-Resident Alien living and working outside the US) when I left the US, so taxes were deducted from my salary only until April. My W-2 form shows my earnings from January to April 2006. I did not get any 1099-MISC form for my may to December 2006 earnings.

I do meet the substantial presence test for 2006. My question is how do I file my taxes ? Can I pay all taxes for 2006 in the US (preferred option) ? I have never paid taxes in France so I am "unknown" here. Or do I have to pay taxes for jan-april in the US and for may-dec in France ? Do I have to pay the full year in France ? Is there a tax treaty between the 2 countries ?

Thanks.

BB
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:42 AM
    BB:

There IS a tax treaty between the U.S. and France. You can get a synopsis from IRS Pub 901.

Now, in terms of general tax principles, you pay taxes on the income you made while in the U.S. to the IRS, then pay taxes on the money you made while physically in France to the French government. That may change if you have an intent to return to the U.S. anytime in the next few years.

The driving consideration is your PHYSICAL location. If in France, pay French taxes. If in the U.S. pay U.S. taxes. Both countries have provisions to give credit if you are paying taxes to BOTH countries on the same income.
    loricar Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidi
    Hi,

I worked in the US until april 13, 2006 under a H1-B visa. Because my visa expired, I went back to France but kept working for the same American compagny (from a computer at home). I am still getting paid on my American bank account. My tax status was changed to "x" (non-Resident Alien living and working outside the US) when I left the US, so taxes were deducted from my salary only until april. My W-2 form shows my earnings from january to april 2006. I did not get any 1099-MISC form for my may to december 2006 earnings.

I do meet the substantial presence test for 2006. My question is how do I file my taxes ? Can I pay all taxes for 2006 in the US (preferred option) ? I have never paid taxes in France so I am "unknown" here. Or do I have to pay taxes for jan-april in the US and for may-dec in France ? Do I have to pay the full year in France ? Is there a tax treaty between the 2 countries ?

Thanks.

BB
    Franco American treaty, do a Google search and find the parts that apply to your situation. Good luck, although it sounds to me as if you will end up declaring part of the income in France . Bummer,
    loricar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
    If you completed SPT for 2006, then you become dual status-- resident in the beginning of the year and non-resident at the end of the year.

This is from Publication 519-- Tax For Aliens, p. 31, col 1: For the part of the year you are a nonresident alien, you are taxed on income from U.S. sources and on certain foreign source income treated effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business.

So it appears that for 2006, you will report all the income to the U.S. and pay taxes in the U.S. Then for 2007, if you still continue with the same employer, you don't file U.S. tax return unless you are back in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel between us and france [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the law on a french citizen visiting the us (for 3 months) then returning to France. How long before he can return to the US? And what is the best option for him to be able to travel freely to both countries? Is it a visa and how does one go about obtaining one... ...

Money in France [ 1 Answers ]

How much is the American dollar worth in France

France [ 1 Answers ]

The number of republics France has had?

France-US citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

I am a French citizen living in the US . I have been here since I was 6yrs old.Iam married to a US citizen and work as a master plumber here. Iam trying to get info on how to get dual citizensip with the US and France

View more questions Search