Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Survivor678 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Boyfriend telling me to leave
    My now ex boyfriend is telling me I have to get out when he moved me up here to Annandale Va knowing I have no place to go and I need time to give my job time to transfer me what are the eviction laws, what are my rights if any?
    burg2123 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Mar 6, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Hun just leave please. You have rights of your own stuff if it his pace than you can't stay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2013, 11:18 AM
    How long have you lived there? Was there an agreement, unwritten or written, that you would contribute to household expenses? If so, do you have proof that you did? Did you change your legal residence, get ID, change address?

Depending on the answers to those question you may qualify as a resident and be subject to the full protection of a tenant. In which case, he has to give you at least 30 days written notice to vacate.

Mar 6, 2013, 12:44 PM
    I have lived here since June of 2012 and I have the cable bill in my name there was no written agreement at that time we were in love I want to and going to move just need time to find a place

Depending on the answers to those question you may qualify as a resident and be subject to the full protection of a tenant. In which case, he has to give you at least 30 days written notice to vacate.[/QUOTE]
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 03:15 PM
    You are definitely a resident and you have to be treated as a tenant. Your ex has to give you 30 days written notice that your tenancy is terminated. If you haven't moved out within those 30 days then he has to file a lawsuit for eviction.

He is not allowed to change the locks until he has gone to court, gotten a judgment and arranged with the sheriff for a formal eviction. If he tries to change the locks before then, call the police!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 04:24 PM
    So he cannot just kick you out, but can get you out in about 30 days, not much time, so you need to start working on a plan

Mar 7, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Thank you all so much!! And I have a plan moving back home to Norfolk by the end of this month!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2013, 08:02 AM
    Glad to help. Good luck to you. Let us know if you need anything more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Louisiana can a mother leave with a child without telling the father [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters mother took off with her 4 months ago without telling me where she was going. I have no clue where she is at or how to contact her. Is there anything I can do? Custody has not been decided

My boyfriend is telling me he wants to see what's else is out there [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so here it is.. I'm 21 years old. I been in only one long term relationship in which I been giving it my all. Both even lost our v-card, got a good start, moved in together, everything picture perfect to my eyes although we had some small fights nothing we couldn't fix and then we had a big...

Everything is telling me I should leave. Need a final opinion, Should I? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello all, Here's my situation, I'll try to keep it short and sweet. Me and my (ex) girlfriend have been going out now for about 4 years, she is 25 and I am 27. Like most relationships, the beginning was nothing short of absolute bliss and happiness. Of course, like some relationships, it...

View more questions Search